Seems like im not the only one who likes playing with RB's

A Place for Discussions On All The Various mCCRs, eCCRs, SCRs & Diving Profiles.

Seems like im not the only one who likes playing with RB's

Postby ChuckyBob » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:28 pm

http://www.deeperblue.com/article.php/426/%200/0

So Pete, did you use a CMF on this project or was it purely manual add?
ChuckyBob

Re: Seems like im not the only one who likes playing with RB's

Postby NEMES1S » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:52 pm

The Widow-maker ha ha ha, great name... :lol:
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Postby ChuckyBob » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:03 pm

ChuckyBob wrote:
So Pete, did you use a CMF on this project or was it purely manual add?

bump
ChuckyBob

Postby petemes » Mon May 10, 2010 2:12 pm

Hi Greg,

Yeah the Widowmaker did me proud for 450 odd hours of breather diving. I did my dolphin program in Melbourne in 97 and stripped it down and rebuilt it from then onwards.

It was a total manual feed, none of this leaky valve malarki! Man what the hell was I thinking???? Did the niag on it twice!!! When you have to manually feed your O2 for 7 hours gets a little bit of a pain. Loved it. Just went onto the inspo for commercial reasons, But nowdays you will struggle to get the inspo out of my hand!!!

Pete
"A little less talk a little more action" Elvis Presley
petemes
Site Sponsor

Postby ChuckyBob » Mon May 10, 2010 4:33 pm

Was it choice to not use a CMF valve or was there nothing available?

Only clocked up 12 hours on mine. Its been on the work bench for the last few months. Should be ready to dive again in a week or two.

ChuckyBob

Postby binklebonk » Mon May 10, 2010 9:59 pm

Oh oh...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/SCUBA-s ... 338813.htm

Good for 200m says the add..

:wink:
binklebonk

Postby Andy » Mon May 10, 2010 10:42 pm

binklebonk wrote:Good for 200m says the add..

:wink:

Those crazy Russians, I wouldn't put it past them to send their sailors down to 200m on an O2 unit.

It's ekranoplanes all over again.....
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby ChuckyBob » Mon May 10, 2010 10:45 pm

200 meters easy I would say, perhaps even 300. The IDA 72 is a hell of a unit. The scrubber is 4.5 kgs!!
But really its just a big BOB ( Bail Out Breather).

The unit is designed for umbilical supply using heated water jackets.
If the umbilical gets cut the diver can SCR bail out.
ChuckyBob

Postby ChuckyBob » Mon May 10, 2010 10:48 pm

Andy wrote:

Those crazy Russians, I wouldn't put it past them to send their sailors down to 200m on an O2 unit.

It's ekranoplanes all over again.....

20 metes is the MOD for O2 for the Russians. :twisted:

That IDA 72 has been on and off TM for a couple of years now. There is also one on ebay. Unfortunately its a lot of $$ when you would only end up using half the parts out of it.
ChuckyBob

Postby binklebonk » Mon May 10, 2010 10:56 pm

ChuckyBob wrote:. Unfortunately its a lot of $$ when you would only end up using half the parts out of it.

Or in your case with the 71, only the case! :D
binklebonk

Postby ChuckyBob » Mon May 10, 2010 11:15 pm

binklebonk wrote:
ChuckyBob wrote:. Unfortunately its a lot of $$ when you would only end up using half the parts out of it.

Or in your case with the 71, only the case! :D

But its a really cool case!!!!

Really its the case, scrubber, OPV and several fittings.
But if I knew then what I know now.....
ChuckyBob

Postby Drip » Tue May 11, 2010 3:20 pm

:o ...amazing. It looks a bit like looking into the (disected) anatomy of the upper torso (of a Humanoid). Wonder what the other Rebreathers look like in comparison???
If, by chance and by guess, that an early Rebreather was modelled upon the above mentioned ...would then (and yes, I know I'm thinkun' a far-fetched again), a Rebreather modelled upon an aquatic mammal give an even greater performance?
The Case? CCCP is definately like owning a MiG jetfighter. Hammer n' Sickle rule :!: (www.COMmunism :lol: )
Drip

Postby petemes » Thu May 13, 2010 6:38 am

HI Greg,

The CMF valves have been around for a long time. It was through choice. Personally I dont like not having control of exactly how much O2 goes into my loop. At least with a solenoid you can hear when ever it is activated and can take action. with the CMF it just leaks into the unit no sound, no warning. Personal preferences I guess. The very essence of what makes these things attractive to people is the exact opposite for me. Each to their own I guess!!

Pete

ChuckyBob wrote:Was it choice to not use a CMF valve or was there nothing available?

Only clocked up 12 hours on mine. Its been on the work bench for the last few months. Should be ready to dive again in a week or two.
"A little less talk a little more action" Elvis Presley
petemes
Site Sponsor

Postby binklebonk » Thu May 13, 2010 8:18 am

petemes wrote:The CMF valves have been around for a long time. It was through choice. Personally I dont like not having control of exactly how much O2 goes into my loop. At least with a solenoid you can hear when ever it is activated and can take action. with the CMF it just leaks into the unit no sound, no warning. Personal preferences I guess. The very essence of what makes these things attractive to people is the exact opposite for me. Each to their own I guess!!

This is pretty well at odds with my experience (albeit short so far). I'm not sure how much less control there is, starting with the proviso you've set the CMF to deliver just slightly less than your metabolic requirement, it's only an occasional blast on the MAV to bring more O2 into the loop. I assume (not having used an inspo) that the two units respond to a dil flush in a similar way ie do a flush and it drops.. How much more control are you referring to?

The CMF makes a constant unobtrusive hiss you are aware that you've turned it off underwater if you do for some reason. It is a constant thing so no warning that is firing is needed.

As you say the solenoid vs CMF are the result of quite vastly different paradigms of thought. I guess till I get a chance to try an inspo I'm very much in the dark as to the control differences you speak of.
binklebonk

Postby Paul » Thu May 13, 2010 9:11 am

petemes wrote:HI Greg,

The CMF valves have been around for a long time. It was through choice. Personally I dont like not having control of exactly how much O2 goes into my loop. At least with a solenoid you can hear when ever it is activated and can take action. with the CMF it just leaks into the unit no sound, no warning. Personal preferences I guess. The very essence of what makes these things attractive to people is the exact opposite for me. Each to their own I guess!!

Pete

Hey Pete,

You can indeed hear the CMF(Constant Mass Flow) valve, it's a low insessent hiss and you would certainly notice if it stopped :shock: You'd also notice pretty damn quick if for whatever reason it was pumping more than it should in there.

Funny that I would say I like the CMF because it gives me, the diver, control over exactly how much O2 is in the loop. The diver is involved earlier in the cycle. I need to be proactive about the O2 in the loop rather than reactive in the case of having a computer deciding how much/when should go in there.
Having said that, sometimes on a long ascent I wonder what it would be like to have a computer doing it for me! Still I prefer the control of the MAV (manual add valve)

This is most certainly one of those discussions that need to be hashed out at great length full of passion and enthusism preferably at a pub or some such sociable venue :D lest we end up with a "rebreathers at 10 paces" type of clash... (I'd win that one :evil:)

Paul
Who needs a hobby when you have an obsession?
Paul

Next

Return to Rebreather Diving