Which rebreather and why?

A Place for Discussions On All The Various mCCRs, eCCRs, SCRs & Diving Profiles.

Re: CCr

Postby chickdiver » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:57 am

Azza wrote:
Simon TW wrote:the baggage allowance is much less outside the USA, this is a NZ forum and unless you travel Business Class or have a special deal you are restricted flying out of NZ.
I dont know how much a Meg weighs but I have been given 48 kg in budget class out of NZ numerous times...You just have to mention you are a diver and its usually free...

fwiw...

I did a little experimentation with my Meg. Rigged to dive, with 2 aluminum 19's, APEKS first stages, neoprene counterlungs and a full scrubber it weighs in at 75.5 lbs (34.2kg).

You can automatically deduct 5.5 for the scrubber material fill.

2 Aluminum 19's without first stages weigh in at 23.5 lbs. - since those go in checked baggage, we can subtract that weight as well.

That leaves us with a plenum, scrubber can, head and counterlung weight of .... 46.5 lbs. , or 21 kg.- which brings it in at roughly 11 kg under the max. allowance. (of course, these numbers are only accurate for my unit- YMMV).

Oh- and Simon, I'm not trying to be a pain in the bubbles, or start a pissing contest- I was honestly curious so I weighed the stuff and thought others might be interested in what I found.
chickdiver

Postby silent solutions » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:17 pm

the meg and inspo are much the same weights,mine is far from standard and have similar weights to CD.
silent solutions

Postby Simon TW » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:57 pm

I hear what you're saying Heather but I have a Max weight limit on carry on of 6k. With a alli plate a travel wing and a harness I'm well over 32k and that's no other dive kit and no cylinders.

I'm in NZ right now and Air New Zealand have given me a 20k hold allowance and 7k carry on. I'm getting away with two bags of 23k because I'm in the country with that allowance. I could only get two bags of 23K because I flew into the USA first. If I had flown any other route to NZ I would have been given a hold allowance of 23k with one bag and I've had had to pay excess on every other leg of the Journey.

I travel from the UK to Egypt at least 6 times each year and the Meg is a real hassle to take. I can't get it in a bag less than 32K without cyclinders. In the UK the Health and Safety Executive (Goverment Department) will not allow a bag of more than 32k. It it weighs more it's Air Frieght. Hand Luggage is 5k and is weighed and one bag is allowed (that includes womens handgags and laptops)

I'm not wanting to get into a Pi**ing contest either but I have 4 rebreathers at present and the Meg is the one that I'm least likely to travel with until a lighter can is available.
Simon TW

Postby silent solutions » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:44 pm

with the carry on put it in a locker or get some one to hold it till after checkin.NZ can be bubbles at times for carry on and the 23kg limit thats what big pockets and jackets are for.
silent solutions

Postby chickdiver » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:19 am

Simon TW wrote:I hear what you're saying Heather but I have a Max weight limit on carry on of 6k. With a alli plate a travel wing and a harness I'm well over 32k and that's no other dive kit and no cylinders.

I'm in NZ right now and Air New Zealand have given me a 20k hold allowance and 7k carry on. I'm getting away with two bags of 23k because I'm in the country with that allowance. I could only get two bags of 23K because I flew into the USA first. If I had flown any other route to NZ I would have been given a hold allowance of 23k with one bag and I've had had to pay excess on every other leg of the Journey.

I travel from the UK to Egypt at least 6 times each year and the Meg is a real hassle to take. I can't get it in a bag less than 32K without cyclinders. In the UK the Health and Safety Executive (Goverment Department) will not allow a bag of more than 32k. It it weighs more it's Air Frieght. Hand Luggage is 5k and is weighed and one bag is allowed (that includes womens handgags and laptops)

I'm not wanting to get into a Pi**ing contest either but I have 4 rebreathers at present and the Meg is the one that I'm least likely to travel with until a lighter can is available.

Point taken.

You folks have crappy airlines! (no offense intended).
chickdiver

Postby Buck Rogers » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:11 am

Point taken.

You folks have crappy airlines! (no offense intended).[/quote]

ha ha, that's the reason that whenever we fly back to the UK we make sure we go through LA or somewhere else in the states - 2x32KG hold limits each - not even my wife can shop enough to fill all of that!
Probably the best dive club in the World... www.sods.co.nz
Buck Rogers

Postby Andy » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:08 pm

Bump...

Just bringing this back to life, after lots of reading and thought the list of units on my possible list have changed... primarly due to cost, but only because I want one next 6 months as opposed to 6 years.

Now looking at the Classic KISS, and maybe the Sport KISS but a bit concerned by the 50m rating on it and I think the Classic looks sexier anyway. Either unit would be with two ppO2 monitors and a VR cable for real deco data.

Another option is the rEvoII, which looks really tidy. I like the slimline design but distance from support is a factor. It does use a lot of standard Drager parts, though, and has the option for a eCCR upgrade in the future.

The only other option is a 2nd hand Inspo classic, probably with the upgraded Hammerhead electronics.

Long shot I know.... but if anyone knows of 2nd hand units of any of the above from someone who hasn't mistreated them, I'd be keen.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby silent solutions » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:57 am

silent solutions

Postby Andy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:26 am

Thanks, SS.... but they've got to be taking the pi$$!! AUS$5500?? A new one only costs AUS$5200!!!

Admitedlly that's without tanks etc, but still...
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby silent solutions » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Think you need to factor in the extras,spare scrubber and counter lungs tanks,vr3 cable etc.You are not paying freight from the us plus the usual donation to customs here.Is jason freighting it free to auckland if so that is another $300nzd in your pocket unless you are going to do your training over there.
silent solutions

Postby Andy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:49 pm

True, but I'll be in Canda at Christmas and could pick up a new unit from Jetsam, claim back taxes and bring it back with no shipping costs. With being able to get cylinders at wholesale, I could probably have a brand new unit ready to go for less than NZ$7.5k... so why pay NZ$6.5k for a second hand one??
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby silent solutions » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:22 am

where would you train in canada?I think you might out grow a sport kiss but depends on the type of diving you do or want to do.
silent solutions

Postby Andy » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:37 am

silent solutions wrote:I think you might out grow a sport kiss but depends on the type of diving you do or want to do.

Yeah, that's my feeling as well - if the price was right, I'd go for a sport KISS in the short term to just get a unit, knowing that an upgrade in 12 months is likely.

Implementing plan B at the moment, sowing seeds into Scott's mind that he needs to upgrade from a Classic to a Vision, and I'd buy his... with maybe a view to upgrade to Hammerhead electronics after a year or so.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby silent solutions » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:09 pm

Yes you are right about the classic you would need to factor in a Hammerhead(very happy with mine )or a trip back to ap for the repair on the classic electronics every couple of years which they will tell you is your fault for the problem and not a design fault Hmmmmm.
silent solutions

Postby Andy » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:15 pm

Yeah, Scott's unit has a known history.... and has hd the electronics looked at fairly recently. I could budget for the HH a bit later.

Once the seed is planted, he'll start lusting after a Vision...
Andy
Serial Poster

Previous

Return to Rebreather Diving