Twins v Rebreather

A Place for Discussions On All The Various mCCRs, eCCRs, SCRs & Diving Profiles.

Postby Azza » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:00 pm

I know. In have to deny myself. Had an awesome dive as well...could see the surface from 55 metres :P
Azza

Postby Andy » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:21 pm

Azza wrote:I know. In have to deny myself. Had an awesome dive as well...could see the surface from 55 metres :P

Nice. Where did you dive??
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby DiveDiva » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:36 pm

I know, I know!! FRED'S PINNACLE! Noice! :D

DD
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby Martin-PK Divers » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:20 am

DonMarcosdeJuan wrote:OMG,

I said I cant be fecked looking it up..... now I have to look it up even though it was just a flippant remark.

all I was trying to say is that rebreathers are not toys, and anyone that uses that phase is flippant about rebreathers. It is somewhaere in the preceeding five pages, perhaps I will look it up tomorrow.

The bottom line is, rebreathers are not toys and flippancy is not a desirable attribute for a rebreather diver.

I describe all my tools as toys. I do not actually own any toys. As anyone who was at this weekends SODSTEC will testify. I am very very serious about my toys.
Martin-PK Divers

Postby Martin-PK Divers » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:46 am

Gregs Meg is really really nice. Totally ninja too. In fact it's the Ninja-ist RB i've personally seen. Build quality is right up my street-over engineered and looks like you could drop a bomb on it let alone drop it. Greg had his old cylinders strapped on so it looked used. Matt black tanks would complete the Ninja look. Also be great for hiding from your buddy(joke, joke, joke) but he had left his harness and had to configure a bespoke one for the day. Weight belt from our stock aboard Shadowfax and Gregv was good to go. A few minutes doing pre dive, some time checking buoyancy, some shallow 'free time' waiting for Azza's group and Gregv joined them on their descent to the depths of Freds Pinnacle.

The MEG. From my perspective as an observer. I particularly liked the simplicity. It's what struck me first and has stayed. It's a very simple design with, to me, obvious controls and arrangement. I loved the HUD as Greg explained it to me. He spoke to me with regards to the fact that the unit is SO well built that you could probably get lulled into a false sense of security. He pilots his very much with a 'hands on' approach i believe. Very similar to his previous RB, his converted Dolphin SCR. Seeing him from the boat at around 8m ish he looked very comfortable with the unit. He conveyed to me that he certainly enjoyed his dive and we should all get out again. I really enjoy having Experienced divers aboard Shadowfax, it's why we had her built. I really feel the Knights is yet to be explored by the TEC gang and there is so much to explore there still. Even along the coast here.
Martin-PK Divers

Postby Packhorse » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:16 pm

DonMarcosdeJuan wrote:here is my two cents.

someone (I cant be bothered to check who) said "rebreathers are cool toys"

rebreathers are not toys

Unless you are a comercial diver Rebreathers are toys AFAIC.

You dont need it. Your job does not rely on it there for it is a toy.
Same goes for my Nissan Silvia that I sold a year ago. It had a 350-400hp turbo 2L engine that did 0-100km in 4.2 seconds 0-160km in 10 seconds flat and 1/4 mile in 12.6 seconds.
Use wrong it would kill the driver and the passangers and even a few other people a hell of a lot quicker than a RB. But I still considered it a toy as I do all my dive gear and my boat.
Sure toys can kill. But used correctly they give you so much fun. And for me and from what I know of Martin and most other divers fun is what it is all about.
Packhorse

Postby Andy » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:25 pm

Did Greg say how much he paid for his Meg??
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Martin-PK Divers » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:27 pm

Andy wrote:Did Greg say how much he paid for his Meg??

I believe he said it was around 15k
Martin-PK Divers

Postby Andy » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:34 pm

See, that's a reasonable price..... the Meg might be working it's way back up the list....!

Thanks, Martin.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby silent solutions » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:02 pm

Here is my problem with the meg,The o2 sensors are a critical part in the design these stop the pre scrubbed gas mixing with the scrubbed gas a failure in the sensor housing or oring (this has been shown to happen where these are glued together) could lead to a co2 hit.Yes I know that pre dive checks are done just seems like a weak point on an otherwise well made unit.And no built in deco either.Also my other gripe is the 02 is on the inhale side.Just my 2 cents.
silent solutions

Postby Hybrid » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:13 pm

silent solutions wrote:Here is my problem with the meg,The o2 sensors are a critical part in the design these stop the pre scrubbed gas mixing with the scrubbed gas a failure in the sensor housing or oring (this has been shown to happen where these are glued together) could lead to a co2 hit.Yes I know that pre dive checks are done just seems like a weak point on an otherwise well made unit.And no built in deco either.Also my other gripe is the 02 is on the inhale side.Just my 2 cents.

How does that compare with the inspo?
Hybrid

Postby silent solutions » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:14 pm

The gas flows past the sensors and are not part of a seal against the two gases,This has been kicked around on rbw with diagrams to save me typing it out again.
silent solutions

Previous

Return to Rebreather Diving