Twins v Rebreather

A Place for Discussions On All The Various mCCRs, eCCRs, SCRs & Diving Profiles.

Postby Packhorse » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:16 pm

silent solutions wrote:My advice to any one interested is go and try one

Ahh the start of the slippery slope.
Packhorse

Postby Andy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:05 pm

Packhorse wrote:Ahh the start of the slippery slope.

Indeed! I'd actually give the opposite advice..... if you're interested in one, then DON'T go and try one.... unless you're willing and able to take it to the level of actually buying one, as I'm sure that you'd want to after trying...
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby silent solutions » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:30 pm

sure you can go through this life(I think you only get one)saying I wish I had of done that or start making goals to get what you want.
silent solutions

Postby chickdiver » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:58 am

I don't feel that all my years of OC doubles diving were "wasted" by any means. Certainly I have had to learn some new skill sets, and refine/modify others (bouyancy control with the CL comes to mind), but I find many of the things I have learned over the years have stood me in good stead. Further, the level of "comfort in the water" gained by doing lots of diving for many years has been beneficial!

I can see both sides of the arguement for "when to go closed"- and to be honest, I'm not sure which side of the fence I lean on. Becuase the systems are complex and require a great deal of diligence, I think that prior diving experience is really really helpful, especially if one has been diving to the point where bouyancy control and such have become "automatic"- simply because it lessens the task loading.
chickdiver

Postby Andy » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:17 am

silent solutions wrote:sure you can go through this life(I think you only get one)saying I wish I had of done that or start making goals to get what you want.

Yup. But there are a lot of goals already, and I know that I'd want a breather more as soon as I try one.... whilst the the same time the trouble-and-strife has goals for children, and whilst I might be able to find $20k somehow the return in terms of quality of life won't out weigh the grief about have spent the kids college fund! ;)
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Azza » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:38 am

Andy wrote:
Yup. But there are a lot of goals already, and I know that I'd want a breather more as soon as I try one.... whilst the the same time the trouble-and-strife has goals for children, and whilst I might be able to find $20k somehow the return in terms of quality of life won't out weigh the grief about have spent the kids college fund! ;)

You hit the nail right on the head Andy... This is why I am probably going to give up diving shortly...
Azza

Postby Martin-PK Divers » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:46 am

Personally i'd rather give up having kids than quit diving or toys. :D

But thats just me. 8)

What i'd like is to dive to any depth i like, stay there for as long as i like and have no deco to do. 8)

Perhaps i need a submarine. They were only $80,000 the last time i checked...
Martin-PK Divers

Postby Azza » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:57 am

Martin-PK Divers wrote:Personally i'd rather give up having kids than quit diving or toys. :D

But thats just me. 8)

Yep me too but then I would have to give up my wife and my house to do so...
I am done with my single days..
Azza

Postby Andy » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:36 pm

Azza wrote:Yep me too but then I would have to give up my wife and my house to do so...
I am done with my single days..

Ditto.

Unless I pi$$ her off in other ways and she decides to sitch my ar$e.

If we got the timing right, Azza, we could cross baby sit and still dive?
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Gregv » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:21 pm

No contest for me - I dive almost exclusively CCR. Absolute freedom underwater is the biggest advantage. Released from the tyranny of the falling SPG. Turn pressure, what's that?

I dive primarily at the Knights where the max depth for a dive at many sites is determined by how long you're willing to spend decompressing. A couple of us spent 5 days last week diving in the 60-80m range, 15-30 minute bottom times with 90-120 minute total runtimes. I filled my 2.5l dil cylinder once on day 4.

Yes you can dive deep on OC, but the advantages of CCR become very clear if you want to spend any significant time beyond recreational limits.

Andy wrote:For example, Pete's inner ear helium bend a few years ago resulted in a new compartment being added to the helium deco models.

A bit off topic, but while Simon and David's paper examined inner ear 'compartment' gas tensions during simulated decompression using the standard Buhlmann algorithm, to my knowledge this has not been implemented in any available decompression software package. Steve Burton's DecoChek attempts something similar, but uses percentage differences in breathing gases during ascent, not a model of inner ear gas diffusion.

Greg
Gregv
Diving Doctor

Postby Martin-PK Divers » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:37 pm

Tyranny of the falling spg-i like that. :D

Gets me thinking...
Martin-PK Divers

Postby Packhorse » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:06 pm

Martin-PK Divers wrote: Gets me thinking...

40 + years and the grey matter finaly kicks in. :lol:

Just kidding Martin :D
Packhorse

Postby Martin-PK Divers » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:27 am

I'll have you know i've used it before at least once. :D
Martin-PK Divers

Postby Andy » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:19 am

Gregv wrote:A bit off topic, but while Simon and David's paper examined inner ear 'compartment' gas tensions during simulated decompression using the standard Buhlmann algorithm, to my knowledge this has not been implemented in any available decompression software package.

Sorry, I stand corrected! I had the impression from Pete that it had, but I guess it's a proposed compartment....
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Gregv » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:02 pm

You know how it is Andy. We're still using Buhlmann's work from the 60's in 2007. I'm sure we'll have algorithms implementing recent research findings by, oh, I don't know, 2020??
Gregv
Diving Doctor

PreviousNext

Return to Rebreather Diving