Twins v Rebreather

A Place for Discussions On All The Various mCCRs, eCCRs, SCRs & Diving Profiles.

Postby Martin-PK Divers » Fri May 04, 2007 11:08 am

I'm definately going down the RB route. OC is all well and good but incredibly wasteful and very noisy underwater.

And RB's are well Ninja!!! :D
Martin-PK Divers

Postby Hybrid » Fri May 04, 2007 11:49 am

But have you told the other half? :lol: :lol:
Hybrid

Postby PoorKnightsDiver » Fri May 04, 2007 12:00 pm

Yes the other half knows ALL. And he won't need to worry about breathing at all if he keeps on about it :roll:
PoorKnightsDiver

Postby DiveDiva » Fri May 04, 2007 3:19 pm

chickdiver wrote:
DiveDiva wrote:I have to say that principally I'm with Azza on this, even though I vow always to try everything at least once.

I also find OC relaxing (must be something to do with the sound of my own breathing) and technically I suppose I enjoy its simplicity, (demand valve, fail safe etc). I also like being able to, relatively inexpensively, screw a set of regs onto a tank and go diving without the real risk of poisoning myself!

Don't get me wrong, I think the breather technology is amazing and the diving future looks bright. I just don't think it's for me :D

DD

LOL, you still hear your own breathing, as well as the pop as the mushroom valves in the loop open and close. Rather than being a loud, mechanical sound, though, the sound of your breathing is a soft sussorus. More like a sleeping sound rather than how you sound after running a couple of miles.

Okay, maybe I am getting a little set in my ways in my old age... :lol: But I said I would try it and I will - I'll probably love it and then I will feel very poor while I save up for the next 10 years!!

DD
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby kamyk » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:30 pm

I'll say it simple ...

Diving with Reb ... takes time.

Its like driving from ACK to WEL,

By using twins im gaining the experience and getting use to long dives ' longer bottom time etc...'

Let say I'm keen to dive on RB80

GUE - F
and up to tech 2 or 3 lvl + RB80 trainings take lots of time !! and its not a simple process as getting OWD wit Padi

By using twins instead of driving from ACK to WEL i catch a plane

What is all that training needed ?

hm... Cause REB is not for kids :twisted:
kamyk

No Regrets

Postby Andi » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:20 pm

If you want to try it, do it - never wish you'd tried when it's too late.....deep stuff maybe, that's just the way it is!

Personally, I'm heading down RB to maximise what I love, more time for pictures and video with, hopefully, more chances to get up close and personal with sealife without being noisy, you can never justify the expense, it's not about that, and you can't take it iwth you either - I've learnt that, now it's time to correct that.

Andi
Andi

Diving makes me smile.....:) - Chemo makes me sick :(

www.andiwillsher.co.uk
Andi

Postby DonMarcosdeJuan » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:29 pm

here is my two cents.

someone (I cant be bothered to check who) said "rebreathers are cool toys"

rebreathers are not toys

Bill Main said "if you dont need to use a rebreather, dont use a rebreather", thats good enough for me.

gregv talked about the "freedom" of rebreathers but looks like a beast of burden in his avatar. The accessories are a bubbles.

Someone mentioned the silence of rebreathers, and Chickdiver (what the hell are you doing here babe????) said you can hear your breath.
If you havent dived one, then think of the sound of your breath when snorkling plus a couple of other sounds, but none of the racket of bubbles breaking.

If anyone asks me if they should take a rebreather course, no matter who they are I will tell them "absolutely not, dont even think about it" this will deter 99% of the people that shouldnt even think about it. If they have the huevos to ignore my advice, then maybe they have the cojones to do it properly if they make it through the course then I think we might have a good preselection program. I hope gregv agrees with me not wveryone should be doing this.

DD, curiosity killed the cat! But in light of your poll today, my first rebreather dive was also my first cave dive and neither killed me. I know I am new here, but I think you have a pretty good attitude. I would give you an intro dive if I was current.

Rebreathers, they are expensive and heavy, they are pedantic and can kill you without warning.

I had a GF that went to Malpelo for the hammerheads and the inspiration divers did a couple of RB dives then reverted to OC. I dunno, I wasnt there, but it appears the inspiration is a PITA, perhaps the evolution will improve it, or what follows that will be acceptable.

I think we need more input from gregv, he seems to have the most dives on ccrb but 99% of you should treat rebreathers like a Russian roulette pistol. Just because it doesnt get you the first time, dosent mean it wont get you, in fact it means it is more likely to get you,

Did I make my stance clear???? Rebreathers are not toys.

Have I ranted??

tell me to piss off if I have.
DonMarcosdeJuan

Postby PoorKnightsDiver » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:57 pm

DonMarcosdeJuan wrote:
someone (I cant be bothered to check who) said "rebreathers are cool toys"

Rebreathers are not toys.

I am sure you make a good point but I can't see that anyone said they were cool toys. I think Martin referred to dive toys in a post on this thread but I think once again it was a flippant remark possibly miscontrued?
PoorKnightsDiver

Postby Andy » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:07 am

I did a dive with Pete Mesley on the Tui last month - it was interesting, I had a bottom mix of 28% and Pete was on his Inspo.... his deco schedule was pretty much the same as mine.

The only reason I'd like a breather is duration - longer dives without numerous stages. That's the only real benefit that interests me.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby DonMarcosdeJuan » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:48 am

PoorKnightsDiver wrote:I am sure you make a good point but I can't see that anyone said they were cool toys.

OMG,

I said I cant be fecked looking it up..... now I have to look it up even though it was just a flippant remark.

all I was trying to say is that rebreathers are not toys, and anyone that uses that phase is flippant about rebreathers. It is somewhaere in the preceeding five pages, perhaps I will look it up tomorrow.

The bottom line is, rebreathers are not toys and flippancy is not a desirable attribute for a rebreather diver.
DonMarcosdeJuan

Postby Andy » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:01 am

DonMarcosdeJuan wrote:all I was trying to say is that rebreathers are not toys, and anyone that uses that phase is flippant about rebreathers. It is somewhaere in the preceeding five pages, perhaps I will look it up tomorrow.

It might have been me who called them toys.... For me, an RB is a toy (at the moment) because I don't have one. There's a space waiting in the toy shed for one, but I don't NEED it. It's an entertaining idea to fill that space sometime in the future - but OC fills my needs.

There also a "toy" in the sense that the cost can never be justified for 99% of divers. There's no way that I could ever rationalise the cost.

But I totally agree, not a toy in terms of having and diving one - something to take very, very seriously.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby DonMarcosdeJuan » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:56 am

Andy wrote:But I totally agree, not a toy in terms of having and diving one - something to take very, very seriously.
well put,
thas all I meant.
DonMarcosdeJuan

Postby Andy » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:13 pm

the secret to success with an RB is to be an@lly retentive, process orientated and habitual. You need to be the person who doesn't measure twice, cut once.... but measure three times before cutting!!
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Azza » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:50 pm

Dived with GregV and his meg today...very nice...If I had a few more quid I might be able to be convinced.... :twisted:
Azza

Postby Andy » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:54 pm

Azza wrote:Dived with GregV and his meg today...very nice...If I had a few more quid I might be able to be convinced.... :twisted:

Aaaaaaargh! Don't say that.... I've just convinced myself to put it off until 2008.

The Meg is still on the list. Must find out what Greg paid for his...
Andy
Serial Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Rebreather Diving