Colkan Eagle

A Place for Discussions On All The Various mCCRs, eCCRs, SCRs & Diving Profiles.

Colkan Eagle

Postby Andy » Mon May 28, 2007 8:29 pm

Did anyone get to the boat show to look at the new Colkan units? Any comments on them?

They've done a couple of chamber dives now, so I'm guessing that they are on to in-water testing. Should be available soon, if anyone is interested (there's an ad in the latest Dive New Zealand).
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby silent solutions » Tue May 29, 2007 10:31 pm

depending on testing units for sale should be in N.Z for summer.
silent solutions

Postby Andy » Tue May 29, 2007 11:37 pm

I'm waiting with a bit of anticipation to see if anyone gets sorted as an instructor for these units locally....

Personally, still not convinced by the location of the cylinders. Would have to be aluminium, I guess, to not make them too tail heavy. What do you think, Mark?
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Nanjo » Wed May 30, 2007 9:30 am

Andy - yes the cylinders are aluminium specifically for weight distribution reasons.
Nanjo
Site Sponsor

Postby Andy » Wed May 30, 2007 9:44 am

I guess you saw the units last week, Nanjo? What was the total weight like? Any hints on retail price yet?
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Nanjo » Wed May 30, 2007 9:45 am

In both respects Andy, it felt very comfortable on my back ;-)
Nanjo
Site Sponsor

Postby Andy » Wed May 30, 2007 12:58 pm

That's not very specific, Nanjo!!!!

Any indication of comparative costs? Other units I'm considering are;

Inspiration - $18k
Classic Kiss - $12k
rEvo II - $10k

Above are estimates of unit price, including all tanks, LAB numbers, O2 cells and training.

Where are the mCCR and eCCR versions of the Eagle likely to be?
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Nanjo » Wed May 30, 2007 1:11 pm

Sorry Andy, but that's the best I can do for now. All we know so far is indicative pricing, and from that I can say two things:

1. Compared to the alternatives below it will be very good value.

2. As you probably know, the system has been designed to allow those that don't have bucket loads of cash to get a foot in the door at the SCR level, and then upgrade to mCCR or eCCR as and when they want, but without the need to replace the whole kit. So no more buying an entry level kit and then losing money when you upgrade.

There seem to be lots of people interested in these. As soon as we know pricing and availability I'll be sure to pass that info on.

I'm also fairly confident that once it's available, we'll have one that you can try. Just need to clear that with the bank!
Nanjo
Site Sponsor

Postby Andy » Wed May 30, 2007 5:04 pm

Thanks, Nanjo!
Andy
Serial Poster

Re: Colkan Eagle

Postby petemes » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:10 pm

Andy wrote:Did anyone get to the boat show to look at the new Colkan units? Any comments on them?

They've done a couple of chamber dives now, so I'm guessing that they are on to in-water testing. Should be available soon, if anyone is interested (there's an ad in the latest Dive New Zealand).

Hey Andy,

I too have been watching very closley at the Eagle taking form. There are a few things that I am not too sure about with regards to the construction of the unit but they look great!
I too am not a fan of butt tanks being used. This bailout (or in this case DIL tank) like all military breathers is an afterthought. The Eagle is the Navy Cobra O2 breather. So this is why there is only room for one tank in the unit and is finished to have one tank in it.
When ever you bum mount tanks you are limited to how big you can have them.
If this unit is kept at a recreational level then I can really see a future with this unit.

Pete
"A little less talk a little more action" Elvis Presley
petemes
Site Sponsor

Postby silent solutions » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:57 pm

I think this differs alot from the cobra ,counter lung size is larger, scrubber is lager,piping is way different not many units can say they will survive 3000psi on a first stage failure. and electronics.Lets not forget the design criteria
it is a up to 80m recreational breather not a expedition unit so for 90% of people this will be fine.How big do you really want tanks to be on a rec unit?Nothing stopping people plugging in offboard anyway.I am sure you can do away with the butt mounted tank and go Twin 13cft dil same as Ouroborus is set up with out exceeding width.This unit is early days yet and current talks with col indicate that the unit that comes to market will be improved upon from the pre production unit currently shown.Anything that stops us having to send electronics for repair to the uk has got to be a good thing.
silent solutions

Postby petemes » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:36 pm

silent solutions wrote:I think this differs alot from the cobra ,counter lung size is larger, scrubber is lager,piping is way different not many units can say they will survive 3000psi on a first stage failure. and electronics.Lets not forget the design criteria
it is a up to 80m recreational breather not a expedition unit so for 90% of people this will be fine.How big do you really want tanks to be on a rec unit?Nothing stopping people plugging in offboard anyway.I am sure you can do away with the butt mounted tank and go Twin 13cft dil same as Ouroborus is set up with out exceeding width.This unit is early days yet and current talks with col indicate that the unit that comes to market will be improved upon from the pre production unit currently shown.Anything that stops us having to send electronics for repair to the uk has got to be a good thing.

Nice one Gibbo. Good points all round. Really looking forward to seeing the finished product. I am sure that one of them will end up in my guarage.!!
pete
petemes
Site Sponsor

Postby Andy » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:36 pm

Are you thinking about becoming a trainer for the units, Pete??

I'm not convinced about the butt mounted tanks - no real reason other than asthetics.... it looks a bit ugly. Will be interesting to see the final unit.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby petemes » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:31 pm

Andy wrote:Are you thinking about becoming a trainer for the units, Pete??

I'm not convinced about the butt mounted tanks - no real reason other than asthetics.... it looks a bit ugly. Will be interesting to see the final unit.

Hi Andy,

Not sure yet. I am a firm believer that you have to be 100% user in this type of gear to be able to properly teach it. I truly believe that you should become a master of what ever unit you are teaching. You owe it to your client!. Only dive time can build this. When you see these instructors in 5-8 different breathers makes you wonder how many hours they really have on the unit you are doing the course in. Do they own their own unit?

If I were to choose to train people on another unit it will mean that I buy a unit, dive the crap out of it, and only then will I think that I will be good enough to be able to impart knowledge on that unit to paying clients.
This is a completly different monster here. Thats all we need is instructors with 20 hours on teh unit teaching people how to use them! ( I know that you need a minimum of 50 hours to teach on a unit but hey who looks at log books anyways? )

Make no mistake breathers HAVE, DO and WILL kill people. The price has kept a lot of people at bay that should never get into a breather. Now cheaper more accessable breathers are coming out opens up a world of speepless nights. If you add keen new rebreather instructors who think that everyone should dive breathers to the mix, what sort of coktail do you think will eventuate? Sobering, very sobering....

pete
petemes
Site Sponsor

Postby Martin-PK Divers » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:19 pm

petemes wrote:
Andy wrote:Are you thinking about becoming a trainer for the units, Pete??

Hi Andy,

Not sure yet. I am a firm believer that you have to be 100% user in this type of gear to be able to properly teach it. I truly believe that you should become a master of what ever unit you are teaching. You owe it to your client!. Only dive time can build this. When you see these instructors in 5-8 different breathers makes you wonder how many hours they really have on the unit you are doing the course in. Do they own their own unit?

If I were to choose to train people on another unit it will mean that I buy a unit, dive the crap out of it, and only then will I think that I will be good enough to be able to impart knowledge on that unit to paying clients.
This is a completly different monster here. Thats all we need is instructors with 20 hours on teh unit teaching people how to use them! ( I know that you need a minimum of 50 hours to teach on a unit but hey who looks at log books anyways? )

Make no mistake breathers HAVE, DO and WILL kill people. The price has kept a lot of people at bay that should never get into a breather. Now cheaper more accessable breathers are coming out opens up a world of speepless nights. If you add keen new rebreather instructors who think that everyone should dive breathers to the mix, what sort of coktail do you think will eventuate? Sobering, very sobering....

pete

Just as a brief outline Pete, what goes into the RB course that you teach and how many hours pool/OW diving does it entail?
Martin-PK Divers

Next

Return to Rebreather Diving