Cape Three points

The Marlborough Sounds, Milford Sound, Kaikoura, Otago, Fiordland and Stewart Island.

Cape Three points

Postby plumb bob » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:42 pm

Just got back from a few days in Wainui and went and dived at Cape Three points which is just down the road from Wainui.

To those not interested in precipitous approaches to a dive spot then this is not for you as it can be strenuous to say the least. If you've ever dived at Karaka point this will be a familiar approach except it is much more slippery after a wee spot of rain.

From the township of Wainui you can see three islands of rock close to shore to the Southeast.

Drive till you start going uphill steeply and park at the next opportunity which coincidentally is where the track down is.

Head down..

I think alot of OW course are done from here as the track is well worn and there is a rope (badly needing replacement).

Anyway it's a nice dive in what is now a marine reserve, there was a fair amount of schooling fish (what ones I haven't a clue), large crabs, the biggest starfish I have ever seen and something that looked like an enormous purple blancmange.

Max depth was 15m and the vis was pretty good I imagine for the area at about 4-5m.

Gonna have to get a camera soon.. :roll:
Account deactivated by administrator
plumb bob
Banned

Postby stealth » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:52 pm

hey plumb bob

I was bored last Sunday so went on a mission to check out this dive spot for a potential shore dive...how on earth did you get down that track without taking yourself out? Did you sit on the tank and ride it down ? :)

Was a perfect day last week wish I chucked my snorkel in for a dip. How do you know it's a reserve? There was a sign talking about paua quotas at the start of the track so that lead me to believe it wasn't?

Do you know of any other semi descent shore dives in canterbury? I'm finding you really need to know someone with a boat :(

Cheers, Lee.
stealth

Postby plumb bob » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:07 pm

I had heard at a dive shop it had just been made into a reserve.. and didn't see the sign. I guess either it
plumb bob
Banned

Postby stealth » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:31 pm

If you get to flea bay let me know how it goes, have heard it can be a good dive if you pick a good day.

You're right north is much better. Brent from GoDive got me all enthused with a dive at long island when I was up in Marlborough for easter weekend. Now I'm itching for another boat dive!
stealth

Postby plumb bob » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:48 pm

Do you head out with Brent much? I mostly dive off of his boat whenever I head up to the sounds. He runs a really good operation there and can't be beat for trips to the Lermontov!
plumb bob
Banned

Postby stealth » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:01 pm

No...first time actually and second time off a boat. I've only managed to get out on a few crappy dives since doing my OW late last year so it was great to finally have a good dive. I had Suzzane his dive master as a guide all to myself as Brent was taking some discover scuba divers. Must have been a slow day lucky for me :)

Anyway, I joined his club so will definately be heading up there to take advantage of his trips and maybe do a bit of training. Beats lake Colleridge where I did my OW! (was 8'c in June!)
stealth

Re: Cape Three points

Postby Aquila » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:02 pm

Cape 3 points is not a reserve. Flea bay further around to the north of the heads is a reserve.
Aquila

Return to South Island