Flea bay

The Marlborough Sounds, Milford Sound, Kaikoura, Otago, Fiordland and Stewart Island.

Flea bay

Postby plumb bob » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:16 am

Finally got to visit Flea bay or Pohatu marine reserve as it is also known. I was feeling a bit reserved about going due to having heard access was a bit of a sod.

What a load of rubbish that turned out to be! Sure the drive down from the hilltop is steep and loose, you would want a sturdy vehicle for this I have a hilux but you'd be fine in any car that had 4wd. It was very easy to gear up and get on the beach which is even accessible to 4WD but unless you have mobility issues there is no need as 30 seconds easy walk has you there...

Met one of the local runholders twice (first time was coming down the single lane gravel track that required her to back down the hill a considerable way to where we could get past) she was very nice and was very forthcoming with advice about where the best spots were.

I had read this report before going http://www.divenewzealand.com/articles.asp?sid=553 and it certainly had us expecting to be swimming with dolphins, seals and penguins... Hmmm.. not quite, the vis wasn't the best it can be, we had 2-3 metres.. It certainly was a beautiful dive and given the marginal vis bodes well for future trips there.

We saw a few blue cod, loads of triple fins, a few blennies, wrasse, baby leatherjackets and some huge casual looking crays.. (marine reserve remember..).

Saw several Nudi that looked very similiar to this one http://www.nudipixel.net/photo/00003193/

The paua beds there were gobsmacking, in about 1.5 metres they went on forever and were the size of sideplates.

Well worth a visit after a dry spell and non southerly conditions.

:D
Account deactivated by administrator
plumb bob
Banned

Postby plumb bob » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:47 pm

Went there again this weekend, this time Lee AKA Stealth came with us.

Word to the wise, If Akaroa harbour looks a wee bit green, It will be no better in Flea bay :cry:

We had a go at diving here nonetheless and found the conditions to be as bad as we feared.. At best I think we had vis that went from .5 metre to about 200mm.

Oh well it was still a nice day out.:D
Account deactivated by administrator
plumb bob
Banned

Return to South Island