Stewart Island : Half-moon Bay

The Marlborough Sounds, Milford Sound, Kaikoura, Otago, Fiordland and Stewart Island.

Stewart Island : Half-moon Bay

Postby Jason » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:31 pm

Hi everyone,
Although I was crook on the boat over (nothing new), I was mesmerised by Half-Moon Bay, its waters and the climate of Stewart Island. Talked to a few people but not much info was known: something about the Dive business being liquidated and only just airfills from a local who occassionally dives. There was mention of 'Researchers' setting up a Shark Cage (no chumming for attraction) for both research and tourism.

Am wondering if anyone has any further information concerning such a wonderful place :?:
Just drifting along with whatever is current.
Currently I'm reading : The Art of Innovation by Tom Kelley.
Jason

Re: Stewart Island : Half-moon Bay

Postby DiveDiva » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:50 am

Stewart Island is definitely on my list of places I want to go / dive. According to my reliable source (the internet!) Halfmoon Bay offers some great diving. East of Oban (the main township), is a site called Leask Bay where you'll see blue moki, tarakihi and sometimes fur seals in the kelp forests. Also, near Barclay Rocks at the entrance to Halfmoon Bay is the wreck of the Marine Maid sitting upright on the sand at 35m. :shock: :D

There is more info here: http://www.newzealandnz.co.nz/scuba-diving-snorkelling/stewart-island.html

Beautiful:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby silent solutions » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:27 pm

Halfmoon bay is ok but you have to get of the beaten path for some great diving.We usally go for about a week every year and have found alot of great places from abrahams boosom south.
silent solutions

Postby Jason » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:18 pm

Hi again,
...Stewart Island definately sounds even better now and I reckon my Mrs (who also liked Stewart Island but mostly 'on land') would love the idea of 2 weeks there in a relaxing (Dive :wink: ) holiday. The Diving sounds uniquely fantastic and the water temperature sounds ok (with a Drysuit - though 14 degrees is tolerable in a 7mm). I'm gonna sift through some magazines to get more info on Stewart Island. :)
Jason

Postby Jason » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:33 pm

T'anx Axe!
Will keep that site in the pocket (nice kelp) as it will come in handy. A few times I tried to get to Tasmania but fate said otherwise, guess I belong to Stewart Island...maybe I might set up Dive Shop there? I was astonished that a warm current came all the way from the Great Barrier Reef to Stewart Island.
Wahhhhhhhhhhh I wanna dive Sewart Island :!: :!: :!:
:)
Jason

Postby Jason » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:42 pm

T'anx Axe,
A Great White Cage Dive is definately on the cards! :o :)
Jason

Return to South Island