Beautiful Kaikoura

The Marlborough Sounds, Milford Sound, Kaikoura, Otago, Fiordland and Stewart Island.

Beautiful Kaikoura

Postby DiveDiva » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:00 pm

I have dived at Kaikoura approximately 25 times since I arrived in NZ (about 24 times doing courses and once for pleasure :lol: ) and it is by far my favourite local site!

The fur seals and dusky dolphins are gorgeous (although the seals smell bad close up!!) and once I was lucky enough to see a Southern Right Whale and calf in the harbour & there is always the crayfish!!! This is where I caught my first one!!

My favourite dives there are South Bay and Sharks Tooth.

Here's some photos to whet your appetite!

Sharks Tooth:

Oh no, who put DD at the helm!

A dusky dolphin:

Has anyone else dived here?

DD
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby Azza » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:03 pm

I havnt dived in Kaikoura but I have surfaced from many a dive in Wellington to see those mountains. I would like to dive there.
Apparently the continental shelf comes within 500 metres of Kaikoura so I imagine some nig fish and mammals live there
Azza

Postby DiveDiva » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:12 pm

Yes the Hikurangi Trench is about 20 miles opposite Kaikoura Peninsula, the floor of the trench reaches depths ranging from 1,000 fathoms in the extreme south to 1,800 fathoms in the north!

Known as an underwater Grand Canyon!

DD
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby Xman » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:31 pm

The trench is a lot closer than that. At its closest point it comes within a few km of Goose Bay (just south of Kaikoura).
I have dived there (Kaikoura...not the trench) a lot. I did my training with NZ Sea Adventures in Kaikoura (now Dive Marlborough), and then worked as a Divemaster for Ben at Dive Kaikoura. There is some fantastic diving all around the peninsula and surrounding coastline.
As Azza suggested, the upwelling from the trench brings with it a huge variety of life. There are the ever present fur seals, Dolphins, and Orca. plenty of hunter/gathering type dives to be had (as you'd expect).

One of my favourite sites is one we called "the aquarium" near the tip of the peninsula, it is a channel in the rock reef that is teaming with life.
Last edited by Xman on Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xman

Postby DiveDiva » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:35 pm

Wow I didn't realise it was that close! I doubled checked that info too...dammit!

Tis nice diving tho aye! I will miss it :cry:

DD
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby Xman » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:37 pm

I certainly miss it. :( ...and the people. Had some really good dive buddies down there.
Xman

Postby Xman » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:52 pm

Xman

Postby Xman » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:20 am

DiveDiva wrote:Wow I didn't realise it was that close! I doubled checked that info too...dammit!

Tis nice diving tho aye! I will miss it :cry:

DD

On further checking it would seem you are right. Whilst the depth shelves off greatly closer to shore than that, the trench itself is 20 miles off the peninsula. :)
Xman

Postby Blind » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:38 pm

I just got back from a few days in Kaikoura. The water was 8oC down around 15m and about 1 to 4 meters viz. Still love it there tho, it always feels like home.

I caught my first (and 2nd&3rd) cray this trip... i think they taste better when you catch them yourself.

For anyone who hasnt been to Kaikoura this is what its like. I love this vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BilN7r_DvQ
Blind

Postby Azza » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:50 pm

Choice Vid :D
Azza

Re: Beautiful Kaikoura

Postby Jason » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:22 pm

If you look at the Pegasus (Bay) Bathymetric Map (which I have hanging in my house) - the Conway Trough and the Kaikoura Canyon work together to look like the Horse-Head Nebulae in the Constellation Orion. Kinda coincidental for the word 'Pegasus'.
I could live at Kaikoura quite easily and to think, no more crunchy sandwiches from sand when I go to the local beach. :)
Just drifting along with whatever is current.
Currently I'm reading : The Art of Innovation by Tom Kelley.
Jason

Postby bricep » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:31 am

Just wondering where the reliable shore dive spots around kaikoura for crays would be. Also the banks peninsula area.
bricep

Postby Phantom Menace » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:25 pm

I haven't dived there myself but I have spoken to a few spearos who do pretty well free-diving along the coast there - pretty much anywhere sheltered from the swell / wind and they jump in.
Phantom Menace

Postby DeepPenetrator » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:39 am

Have dived Kaikoura a bit when i lived down south, got real sick of 1 - 2 foot vis so will probably never dive there again. As for crays, there's a coastal camp ground at Paia Point, about 150m off shore there is a rock sticking out of the water, this is a good spot but be weary of he seaward side of it if there is even the slightest swell, you'll be at he surface and on the rocks before you know what hit you.
DeepPenetrator

Return to South Island