Milford/Doubtful

The Marlborough Sounds, Milford Sound, Kaikoura, Otago, Fiordland and Stewart Island.

Milford/Doubtful

Postby djwazzo » Sun May 10, 2009 6:59 pm

Anyone had experience of diving operators here?

Going down that way to see a mate and looking to do a couple of days, equired about doubtful with a couple of boats but we'd be booking onto a non diving focussed charter and it was fairly dear.

Not sure if there is day boats at milford or whats the criac? Any info appriciated.

Cheers
Shane
djwazzo

Re: Milford/Doubtful

Postby Andy » Sun May 10, 2009 10:01 pm

djwazzo wrote:Not sure if there is day boats at milford or whats the criac? Any info appriciated.

I think there are Milford say trips, can't remember the name of the boat/company.... but I recall it being quite pricey!?

Google is, as always, your friend:

http://www.tawakidive.co.nz/

Not as pricey as I recall!
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Jason » Sun May 10, 2009 10:04 pm

I think you have to kick on with the Invercargill mob that cater to both Doubtful and Milford Sounds. You can meet up with em in Te Anau if you don't wish to go further south to Invercargill.
Do keep us updated upon your progress though Shane.
Just drifting along with whatever is current.
Currently I'm reading : The Art of Innovation by Tom Kelley.
Jason

Postby Jason » Sun May 10, 2009 10:14 pm

I stand corrected. But I'm sure they know who does do the Doubtful Sound as well.
Jason

Postby Andy » Sun May 10, 2009 10:31 pm

A Doubtful Sound liveaboard is on my top ten things to do in NZ.... it's just so damn expensive!!
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby alijtaylor » Tue May 12, 2009 7:23 am

There is a day operation from TeAnau but it only runs during the summer, I'll link to my report from a couple of years back. It has changed hands since then but I think still operates in a similar way.
http://www.scubadive.net.nz/bb3/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=523 (somehow I can't make these links insert properly)

Alison

p.s I see Andy has already inserted the name of the operator above Tawaki - long live google
alijtaylor

Postby binklebonk » Tue May 12, 2009 10:29 am

Andy wrote:A Doubtful Sound liveaboard is on my top ten things to do in NZ.... it's just so damn expensive!!

Doing one in May next year on the Tutoko. I think it's $2200 PP for 5 days.. Tawaki is the operator that a mate of mine went with.. They thought it the operator was ok bordering on not ok. She got quite a wet breath off of their rental regs and had possible SWA symptoms (Temp, shortness of breath, shivering, headache etc.)by the time they were back at Te Anua. The response to this was less than caring. I hope they have improved the maintenance of their regs.

*Edit to fix price whoopsey
Last edited by binklebonk on Tue May 12, 2009 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
binklebonk

Postby Jason » Tue May 12, 2009 10:02 pm

Besides Xman and DD doing stints at Kaikoura (tranquil Kaikoura),
are there any divers upon this Forum that are permanent residents down around the South Island :?:
Jason

Postby binklebonk » Tue May 12, 2009 10:42 pm

I was till recently.. Do you have questions about the diving there? Cos I could sum it up real easy..

Top bit good
Middle bit shittyshitshitshit (except for Kaiks)
Bottom bit excellent in places..
binklebonk

Postby silent solutions » Wed May 13, 2009 8:25 am

Vampire Squid wrote:Besides Xman and DD doing stints at Kaikoura (tranquil Kaikoura),
are there any divers upon this Forum that are permanent residents down around the South Island :?:

Yes not on here that often though.
silent solutions

Postby Jason » Wed May 13, 2009 5:17 pm

silent solutions wrote:Yes not on here that often though.

Excellent :!:
I hope I don't bug you with toooooooooooo many questions Silent Solutions.

Wondering why the South Island experiences (possibly specific to the Fjiordland area of the South Island) are more expensive - would it be due to the added costs associated to actually getting to the Dive Sites :?:
Also (just x2 questions for starters), does the South Island offer a lot of inland diving :?:
binklebonk wrote:Top bit good

Similar impression I got, but thats from a non-dived perspective. I think Stewart Island and the Fjiordland area would be excellent. The north (Marlbourough etc) seems a random anomoly from what I was told by the guys there - good one day, not so good another. As I ventured further south from Kaikoura, the water started to become a milky pale colour of 2cm Viz all the way down to Dunedin - possibly due to the continental shelf being flat and shallow (and possibly trawled to death into a giant sand pan)? I think Kaikoura is good because of the deep Trenches that come in close and extend down to 2.5kms. Wonder if the Pelagic life is really prolific here?
Jason

Postby binklebonk » Wed May 13, 2009 6:40 pm

Yeah you've pretty well picked up on the where's and the whys.

Inland the diving in lake Coleridge is ok. Just don't expect to see much in the way of fish (or at least that was my impression) very very clear water at times and huge depths close to shore in places..

I haven't dived any of the inland waters apart from Coleridge.
binklebonk

Postby silent solutions » Wed May 13, 2009 9:49 pm

Vampire Squid wrote:
silent solutions wrote:Yes not on here that often though.

Excellent :!:
I hope I don't bug you with toooooooooooo many questions Silent Solutions.

Wondering why the South Island experiences (possibly specific to the Fjiordland area of the South Island) are more expensive - would it be due to the added costs associated to actually getting to the Dive Sites :?:
Also (just x2 questions for starters), does the South Island offer a lot of inland diving :?:
binklebonk wrote:Top bit good

Similar impression I got, but thats from a non-dived perspective. I think Stewart Island and the Fjiordland area would be excellent. The north (Marlbourough etc) seems a random anomoly from what I was told by the guys there - good one day, not so good another. As I ventured further south from Kaikoura, the water started to become a milky pale colour of 2cm Viz all the way down to Dunedin - possibly due to the continental shelf being flat and shallow (and possibly trawled to death into a giant sand pan)? I think Kaikoura is good because of the deep Trenches that come in close and extend down to 2.5kms. Wonder if the Pelagic life is really prolific here?

To dive the fiords if you want to do the tourist dives out of milford it is not that expensive.However if you want to do deco dives and liveaboards it usally involves meeting the boat via chopper.However we have done two trips this year and taken our own boats accross lake manapouri and via tractor to the fiords.
Commercial charters are expensive due to the permits to operate and the hassles associated.To be cost effective you need to find a vessel that is just a mates that are sharing the costs kind of thing thus not a commercial charter not going into details here but i am sure you get the idea.Awesome diving so it is worth the hassle.Fresh water diving submerged town cromwell bridge,lakes around wanaka queenstown 0-300m from the shore, night dives under the steamer.Ice diving lake alta remakable ski field.Or do you mean real diving like the pearse(theres that helicopter word again) or blue creek caves.Thre are some photos floating about with 30m plus vis so it is not always 2cm vis down here you just have to get offshore via boat.
silent solutions

Postby Jason » Wed May 13, 2009 10:21 pm

silent solutions wrote:Fresh water diving submerged town cromwell bridge,lakes around wanaka queenstown 0-300m from the shore, night dives under the steamer.Ice diving lake alta remakable ski field.Or do you mean real diving like the pearse(theres that helicopter word again) or blue creek caves.

I think I have a tear in my eye. I can't believe I actually stood by that Steamer (even worked upon it (for an hour) as an 11 year old) last year at night and wondered about diving under it. Having dived Lake Jindabyne (near Australia's only Ski Region) around the remains of a once town I can look forward to more and I've always wanted to do ice diving.
Excuse me a while, while I look into these things. :D :D :D
Jason

Postby Jason » Thu May 21, 2009 10:18 pm

Has anyone got any photos/images (or even links) of beneath Lake Johnson (near Queenstown) or any other South Island Lakes :?:
Jason

Next

Return to South Island