Dusky Sound 1st-4th December 2011

The Marlborough Sounds, Milford Sound, Kaikoura, Otago, Fiordland and Stewart Island.

Dusky Sound 1st-4th December 2011

Postby ScubaSteveWanaka » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:43 pm

I know many of you have been waiting for this one.

A 3 night/4 day trip to remote Dusky Sound, Fiordland.

Helicopter in from Te Anau, live aboard the Pembroke and dive one of the most scenic places in the world.

365 islands to explore with this one fiord system.

For more info visit http://scubastevewanaka.webs.com/trips.htm
ScubaSteveWanaka

Re: Dusky Sound 1st-4th December 2011

Postby ScubaSteveWanaka » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:31 pm

I've just added a bit more info on what to expect in Dusky Sound. Especially the 3 famous shipwrecks.
ScubaSteveWanaka

Postby binklebonk » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:45 pm

The Waikari is a really nice wreck. I have done three dives on it and each time the stern has had massive schools on it just around that section of ornate railing. Cool fossicking to be had but I guess in hindsight that's a no no as it's now over 100 yrs old. Lotsa seals there as well.

Gonna dive the Ranginui on the next trip there. I would've on the last trip but on air I reckon 60 metres is daft, especially when you are so remote.

Steve, what have you seen (assuming you've dived it) of the Endeavour wreckage?
binklebonk

Postby ScubaSteveWanaka » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:03 pm

This will be my first trip to Dusky, I'm very slowing working my way through all the sounds.

That info was relayed from Derek. He tells me that there are still portions of the main structure and the ballast blocks but the bulk of it was blown up by gold hunters over the years.

I agree 60m on air in that part of the country would not be wise. If we get a few techies that are keen we'll take along some trimix.
All our trips are no-take trips as far as souvenirs go, I meant fossicking for photos.
ScubaSteveWanaka

Postby silent solutions » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:22 pm

I have dived the Ranginui a few times from memory I thought it was 65m ish to the bottom and fossicking of to the side was 80m plus but will have to check my logs.No take??? I guess unless you want to return Tims fridge back to fisher and paykel or the plastic plates back to them there is very little to take.
silent solutions

Postby silent solutions » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:26 pm

Is the Faith stll there or refloated and towed back???
silent solutions

Postby ScubaSteveWanaka » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:42 pm

silent solutions wrote:I have dived the Ranginui a few times from memory I thought it was 65m ish to the bottom and fossicking of to the side was 80m plus but will have to check my logs.No take??? I guess unless you want to return Tims fridge back to fisher and paykel or the plastic plates back to them there is very little to take.

As far as I have been told the deck of the Ranginui is at 53m, but would be good to know what your experience was.
:roll: I was meaning more for the Endeavour and the Waikare for "no take" but I'd like to leave all of them for others to appreciate.

Don't know about the Faith.
ScubaSteveWanaka

Postby silent solutions » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:06 pm

Unless you deal in scrap metal which is to far to fly out of there any way.The other wrecks you mention have little to take.But I agree with the no take for others to see .I dont know many wreck divers that hang aroud a deck area of a ship.Just rember planning for the cold on a long dive like this.Feel free to contact me as we are only three hours drive away.
Cheers
Mark
silent solutions

Postby silent solutions » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:03 pm

Also the barge we normally moor
alongside for the ranginui is being water blasted in dry dock not sure when it is back there I asume the mooring floats are still there.Easier to ask the owners closer to the time as doc have some strange things on permanent moorings.
silent solutions

Return to South Island