Last seen at the Poor Knights!!

The Poor Knights, BOI, Hauraki Gulf, East Coast & Wellington

Last seen at the Poor Knights!!

Postby Kate » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:23 pm

For two days in a row now, our boats have spotted a 3 metre manta ray at the Islands. This is the FOURTH year we have had sightings, and so we are all pretty stoked!
The temperature out here is 20 degrees (some computers are still saying 19!!!) and the vis is a lovely 20 metres. Wrasses, nautilus, sting rays galore, and the weather is picture perfect at the moemnt. What else have people been seeing? There is an incredible amount of activity at the moment.
The Poor Knights Islands - best sub-tropical diving in the world. www.diving.co.nz
Kate
Site Sponsor

Postby DiveDiva » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:33 pm

Hi Kate!

Welcome to the forum :D

That is fantastic news about the sea life you have been seeing!! 3 metre Mantas!!! Wow!! A couple of people saw some that size at Osprey Reef but how fantastic they are in NZ waters!!

It would be awesome if you could post a picture...

Incidentally do you have an English guy named Tristan Webb working for you at the moment??

All the best,
DiveDiva
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby Kate » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:00 am

Yes we do have Tris on our team this season! He is teaching mainly, and we call him Webby as a nik name as we already have a Tris working here.

A couple of guys got the manta on film yesterday and I have some shots of the one from last year. The first day it just ghosted under our boat and no one was in the water! D'uh.

Last year we had sightings on a regular basis for six weeks so we are all excited that we have had four years of seeing them. One smaller one last year and a bigger one, don't know if it is teh same one or a couple that we see twice. If anyone else is seeing them we would love to know so we can set up a sightings record for DOC.
The Poor Knights Islands - best sub-tropical diving in the world. www.diving.co.nz
Kate
Site Sponsor

Postby diveclass-101 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:42 pm

sounds Like an amazing experience, I've only been seeing eagle rays and They're only around the 1-1.5 meter size around Slipper and Shoe off Tairua... wouldn't it be awesome to just cruise around with one to see where it'd take you??? :D :P
Non ut edam vivo, sed vivam edo.
I do not live to eat, but eat to live.
- Quintilianus, Instituitio oratoria
diveclass-101

Postby powley » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:25 pm

gutted, missed them again
death can be fatal
powley

Postby Martin-PK Divers » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:44 pm

So did the rest of us
Martin-PK Divers

Postby powley » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:34 pm

am in good company then
death can be fatal
powley

Manta Rays!!

Postby Kate » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:09 pm

Just sighted off Middle Arch in 40 metre vis with 21 degrees, two 5 + metre wing span manta rays!
What a day to be in the office! Just got the radio call as the guys are coming home.
Sigh.
Kate
Site Sponsor

Postby powley » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:15 pm

bummer for you but thats still exciting
death can be fatal
powley

Postby Kate » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:21 pm

Hi Brian,
They both came within a metre of our guys, and Skipper Evan was eyeballed by one. They had 10 kingies under each wing and a couple of remora as well.
We had all of Calypso in the water snorkelling with them, for over 20 minutes. Apparently on the outside of Middle Arch you could see straight down to the bottom and that is at least 40 metres!
Instructor Evan touched one as it flapped its wing over him. :o
Absolutely in awe of them! The Big Fish Project sighting sheet has never looked so good!
But yeah, bummer for me! :cry: You know I am always in the shop!
Kate
Site Sponsor

Postby Andy » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:39 pm

Kate wrote:But yeah, bummer for me! :cry: You know I am always in the shop!

Yeah, but Kate.... I've told you before..... just remind us again who does the roster???? :roll:
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Kate » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:43 pm

D'uh. You'd think I'd learn. :P
But how can you predict a day like that! I actually did manage to get out last week for three days and it was gorgeous. There are some perks you know, and my best fav time to dive is in May - June when the vis is better, the water is still warm and the crowds have gone.
Kate
Site Sponsor

Manta Rays!

Postby Kate » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:15 pm

Manta again today! In between Pinnacles and Aorangi. Let's hope they will stay around for the club dive :D
It was only a small one (3metrs) on the surface.
Ha! I say only.......... :wink:
Kate
Site Sponsor

Postby Kate » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:16 pm

I is diving tomorrow!
Kate
Site Sponsor

Postby Andy » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:18 pm

Have a great day, Kate.... I'll be painting :(

Hope the Mantas hang around for you!
Andy
Serial Poster

Next

Return to North Island