Last seen at the Poor Knights!!

The Poor Knights, BOI, Hauraki Gulf, East Coast & Wellington

Postby Kate » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:20 pm

Is that still the house you are painting?
The Poor Knights Islands - best sub-tropical diving in the world. www.diving.co.nz
Kate
Site Sponsor

Postby Andy » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:55 pm

Kate wrote:Is that still the house you are painting?

Yeah, just started today and it already seems like forever!!
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Xman » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:04 pm

Andy wrote:
Kate wrote:Is that still the house you are painting?

Mate, we are at the last little bit of a 10 month refurbishment of a house. Basically rebuilt the interior of the house. I know how you feel. Have spent the last three days solid painting.
ImageXman
Forum Moderator
Xman

Postby Azza » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:42 pm

Andy wrote:

Yet you still find time to post....
:lol:
Azza

Postby Andy » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:44 pm

Yeah, we've got no electricity connected in the new house yet - a convenient excuse to stop work before it gets dark! I think it's a fire hazard to paint by candle light, all those fumes will be a real risk....

10 months, Xman? Sheeeesh, I'm kinda hoping to have most of it done in ten days. Admittedly it will probably take 10 weeks, but I can dream...
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Kate » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:07 am

Weather has packed in a bit but diving still great.
Sunday saw a couple of other sightings of manta ray ( I haven't seen them yet! Some say it is a mechanical manta we have set up, but scouts honour they are there!!) On the way home boats were delayed by a pod of about 1000 dolphins and orca, what do you do?
The Poor Knights Islands - best sub-tropical diving in the world. www.diving.co.nz
Kate
Site Sponsor

Postby Kate » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:14 pm

Perfect Day and El Tigre were waylaid on the way home today by a huge work up with pilot whales, VERY acrobatic dolphins, and unbelievably, some dolphins chasing a marlin!!!
Still 20 plus metre vis but a thermocline in Splendid Arch that was 15 degrees! :shock: 21 on the surface but a trippy chilly haze.
Kate
Site Sponsor

Postby Xman » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:47 pm

Andy wrote:10 months, Xman? Sheeeesh, I'm kinda hoping to have most of it done in ten days. Admittedly it will probably take 10 weeks, but I can dream...

Yeah, it seems like 10 years. Hard to get things done whilst working full time shifts etc..
We have done a LOT of work though, completely rewired the house, replaced GIb and carpet, stripped a whole lot of wallpaper, completely rebuilt (i.e new fittings, new walls of a different shape, new floor, and ceiling, shower, vanity, toilet) the bathroom, built a 6m x 4 m deck etc etc
ImageXman
Forum Moderator
Xman

Postby Kate » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:45 pm

Finally the weather has cleared! We have had boats out to the PKI over the last three days and are happy to report 16 degrees and 25-35 metre visibility. Still a few bits in the water, but clearing up nicely! :D
The usual suspects have been spotted including a Bronze whaler of about 2 metres cruising and swimming around in Rikoriko Cave by Craig.
8)
There are about 10 seals on Fruit Cake Rock, the bachelor boys from Murawai!
Coastal vis is still a bit green but we are diving the Wrecks tomorrow to see if they have moved about at all.
Swell is better and although this Sunday has a forecast of 35 knots - it is nothing after 95!! :shock:
Kate
Site Sponsor

Postby Kate » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:53 pm

A turtle!! :D
Has been around for the last week in Cleanerfish, with an antennae on the back. Have contacted Dan and sent photos so maybe we can get a name and history for the cute fulla!
temp is getting up to a good 17, and vis is fantastic at 20 plus. Giant salps have been seen too, as well as the most orca action we have seen in a couple of years. Still have heaps of rays out though - not being munched!
Kate
Site Sponsor

MANTA Ray!

Postby Kate » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:38 am

We have been seeing manta for about four weeks now, but this guy was certainly happy to pose for the camera and was keen to hang around. Glenn Edney jumped in and toook these photos.

Kate
Site Sponsor

Postby DiveDiva » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:32 pm

Awesome photos Kate and I have written a story for Monday :) Glenn is lovely - he told me the manta full on interacted with him. How cool!!! Any space on your boat tomorrow? :wink: (grrr if I had transport I would so be there :evil: !!!!!) See you later!
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby ScubaDog » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:54 pm

What boat is Glenn running at the Knights ???? and how do you contact him???
ScubaDog

Postby Kate » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:48 am

Glenn is running El Tigre, working with us again this season before heading back to Tonga in April - ish - and you can get in touch with him here. Just phone the shop 0800 288 882. But he is off today - Sunday. He will be working tomorrow though. 8)
Kate
Site Sponsor

Postby ScubaDog » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:35 am

Cheers for that Kate :-)
ScubaDog

PreviousNext

Return to North Island