Weather Report for the Poor Knights

The Poor Knights, BOI, Hauraki Gulf, East Coast & Wellington

Weather Report for the Poor Knights

Postby Kate » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:49 am

Just to keep you in the loop if you are planning dives up in Tutukaka, and the Knights. :D
We make the call going on several websites, MetService and Swell map are a couple; and then we gauge what has been happening out there all week, and each day when we are there.
Finally we look out the window at first light and get a visual on the sea state and the sky. The skippers get the final say and we discuss it before it is called off.
Nine times out of ten, if the call will be marginal we certainly know the afternoon before. :)
Don't hesitate to call us for an update on the weather. I will post a run down here for the Knights, and maybe another area can have a post of their patch as well. :)
0800 288 882 is our free number for the Knights Weather Report! :D
The Poor Knights Islands - best sub-tropical diving in the world. www.diving.co.nz
Kate
Site Sponsor

Postby DiveDiva » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:01 am

Thanks Kate...what's it looking like this weekend? I know a couple of us are headed your way.
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby Kate » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:38 am

Today we have about 10 knots from the northwest, continuing the steady pattern that we have had this week. We have been getting less than the winds forecast with a slight wind chop and no swell. The coast has been awesome to dive!

Saturday is looking like 18-20 knots, rising to 25 by nightfall. Swell rising to about 1.5 metres.

Sitting on 20 -25 knots from the WNW for Sunday dropping to 10 from the south late afternoon.

We have been at sites on the Eastern side all week, and they have had vis of 15 - 20 metres with a temperature of 15 degrees.

At this stage both days are diveable! :D

(Do you think I should apply for that weather girl job? :shock:
The Poor Knights Islands - best sub-tropical diving in the world. www.diving.co.nz
Kate
Site Sponsor

Postby Kate » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:43 pm

.....But please don't think I am the weather Oracle! Herein follows the disclaimer.... :D
I will give you an accurate take on the local weather as we see it, but it changes and Mother Nature has a habit of throwing curve balls. :lol:
Kate
Site Sponsor

Postby DiveDiva » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:50 pm

Very impressive. Wish I was there :D
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby Kate » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:38 am

The weather this morning has dawned lovely and light with no wind yet.

Due to pick up to about 15 from the NW and rise to 35 NW overnight.

Sunday has 25 -25 NW forecast with a change to the south late in teh evening.

What does it mean? Well, we have boats going to the Wrecks and the Knights today, and those conditions on Sunday certainly mean we can dive the wrecks, and we will keep a weather eye on the Poor Knights.
Kate
Site Sponsor

Postby Andy » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:03 am

Kate wrote:What does it mean? Well, we have boats going to the Wrecks and the Knights today, and those conditions on Sunday certainly mean we can dive the wrecks, and we will keep a weather eye on the Poor Knights.

Ahh.... you can't beat a "nowcast" like that! Shame I'm sat at home being very sick :(

I'll bring some walnuts next time, Kate!
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Buck Rogers » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:16 am

Andy wrote:
Kate wrote:What does it mean? Well, we have boats going to the Wrecks and the Knights today, and those conditions on Sunday certainly mean we can dive the wrecks, and we will keep a weather eye on the Poor Knights.

Ahh.... you can't beat a "nowcast" like that! Shame I'm sat at home being very sick :(

I'll bring some walnuts next time, Kate!

you're sick? Gutted - weren't you meant to be liveaboarding this weekend? :cry:
Probably the best dive club in the World... www.sods.co.nz
Buck Rogers

Postby Andy » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:52 pm

Buck Rogers wrote:you're sick? Gutted - weren't you meant to be liveaboarding this weekend? :cry:

Tell me about it. What a beautiful day to spend at home in bed... :cry:
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Kate » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:35 pm

Andy wrote:I'll bring some walnuts next time, Kate!

:D :D
I will hold you to that!
Sorry to hear you are not well, Andy. :cry: and missing a weekend on Pac Hideaway!

Weather remains similar, NW 25 gusting 35, turning more to the west during the day, and then to the south.
The call is not marginal on the wrecks, or the Knights. It will be a bit rough about 5 k's out from the Knights but more sheltered on the coast.
:wink:
Kate
Site Sponsor

Postby Kate » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:55 am

Well, we currently have about 20 gusting 25 from the NW, and the dive boats have gone for the morning. Forecast to drop still holding, the coast is nice and sheltered, and in the lee.
:D
Kate
Site Sponsor

Postby Kate » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:20 am

Thursday 16 August: we have 40 knots gusting 55 from the NE with 2 - 3 metres of swell.
Stow your dive gear and grab your surf boards!! Front will pass quickly tonight and tomorrow will dawn with 20 knots WNW and swell dropping back to 2 metres.
You still may want to surf on Friday!! :)
The weekend is going into a steady pattern of WNW 1-2 metres and 20 knots, dropping into 10 knots Monday from the South.

Not going to sea today, but will assess conditions tomorrow.
Kate
Site Sponsor

Postby Kate » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:26 am

Weather today Friday 17 August is lovely and clear. All the rain we had last night ( it was a lot!) will mean the coastal vis will be silty, and there is still a rolling swell of about 3 metres.

Surf's up in Sandy Bay with a NE swell of 4 easing to 2 and a offshore north westerly.
We are not diving to day as the sea still is a bit too lumpy for comfort although wind has dropped to under 10 knots. (Besides - everyones gone surfing!) :D

Forecast for Saturday is WNW of 10 knots rising to 20 by nightfall. Swell is dropping down to one meter.

Sunday is changing and dropping down to 10 knots SW with half metre swell.

Enjoy the weekend's diving! :D
Kate
Site Sponsor

Postby PoorKnightsDiver » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:36 am

Which do you find is the most useful weather service? I see that what you have is from the Met Service for Brett.

Looking at the Swellmap forecast for the Poor Knights it looks completely different. Swell at 2m on Saturday and dropping to just about 1m on Sunday, Wave height 3m dropping to 2m., Wind not below 20 knts all weekend, infact gusting to 30 knts later on Saturday?? :? :?
PoorKnightsDiver

Re: Weather Report for the Poor Knights

Postby Kate » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:25 pm

Kate wrote::D
We make the call going on several websites, MetService and Swell map are a couple; and then we gauge what has been happening out there all week, and each day when we are there.
Finally we look out the window at first light and get a visual on the sea state and the sky. The skippers get the final say and we discuss it before it is called off. :D

Although the forecast I used wasn't Brett, I understand what you are saying Jill, often we get people saying they always heard a different forecast from what is actually happening. There are several sites to access the info, and the Coastguard radio broadcast is a pretty reliable for the local area too. :)

If it is raining in Whangarei - it isn't always out here, and often at the Islands we see rain clouds over the main land.

Short forecasting - MetService is good, and in general Swell Map gives a good long range.
You have to remember - if they gave truly spot- on forecasts - the meterologists would all be millionaires!
Kate
Site Sponsor

Next

Return to North Island