South Coast Divers Society.

The Poor Knights, BOI, Hauraki Gulf, East Coast & Wellington

South Coast Divers Society.

Postby Paul » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:53 pm

Hi All,

It's all very exciting and us Wellington Divers have got together and formed a Dive Club. South Coast Divers Society.

Here is our mission statement:

The objectives of the club are to provide a save diving environment and methodology to divers of all levels and experience, to organise diving activities both locally and elsewhere for members and to act as a consumer group in relation to dive facilities, service and equipment.

We will have an open evening to officially register the club which has been provisionally scheduled for Thursday the 24th of September in Wellington. I will confirm the date, time and venue closer to the time.

During the open evening we'll have quite a bit to inform members of and are looking forward to a good turnout.

We have a google group called south-coast-divers-society. If you would like to join either send me a PM with you email address or click here: http://groups.google.com/group/south-co ... rs-society

Hope to see you there!
Who needs a hobby when you have an obsession?
Paul

Re: South Coast Divers Society.

Postby ChuckyBob » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:27 pm

Excellent News!! congratulations on getting the club going. Perhaps we can have some sort of association with SODS. Im sure our supporters would be glad to pass their discounts on to SCDS too!

I reckon SODS is a heaps better name though
ChuckyBob

Postby DiveDiva » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:35 pm

Great stuff Paul!
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby Paul » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:36 pm

Excellent News!! congratulations on getting the club going. Perhaps we can have some sort of association with SODS. Im sure our supporters would be glad to pass their discounts on to SCDS too!

Yup that's certainly one of the benefits for divers in setting up a club for divers, reciprocal agreements!! I'd say that will be one thing the first committee will look at getting going. We have a few good deals lined up for members already that we are looking forward to telling people about at that launch/info evening.
Paul

Postby Paul » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:42 pm

I should also point out that I am just the bringer of good news and not the instigator in this.

Bink kicked off the idea first, also involved in the early days are Pete, Nem, Chels, Rebecca, Sean and Cameron. The numbers in the google group are now 17 and rising so it's off to a good start.
Last edited by Paul on Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

Postby Cameron_R » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:52 pm

Excellent!! and top work to everyone who made it happen!!

Should be a great way to meet like minded divers, share stories/photo's and maybe even learn something!

Can't wait.
Cameron_R

Postby somethin fishy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:05 pm

Hey Paul,

That sounds like a great idea. But isn’t this going to duplicate what is already done by other dive clubs? What are you hoping to achieve which is different to what they already offer?
Andy Stewart
somethin fishy

Postby Jason » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:25 pm

Good to see Welly get another social boon added to its Dive culture.

As for where I live,
well...
The boys of this here neighbourhood
think Dive Clubbing's done with a length of drift-wood.
Just drifting along with whatever is current.
Currently I'm reading : The Art of Innovation by Tom Kelley.
Jason

Postby ChuckyBob » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:04 pm

somethin fishy wrote:Hey Paul,

That sounds like a great idea. But isn’t this going to duplicate what is already done by other dive clubs? What are you hoping to achieve which is different to what they already offer?

Well it aint run by a dive mafia ...eer shop for a start!
ChuckyBob

Postby Paul » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:11 pm

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but all the diving clubs are dive business run clubs and not run by divers for dives. The objective of these clubs is to generate revenue for it's business owners. I have no issues with this as it has nothing to do with why we are setting up.

We are a non-profit club set-up to cater for and promote divers best interest. There is no affiliation to any shop or other dive business. People from any shop or training agency are welcome in this club and I hope that the club develops good relationships with the dive business's leaders. We will not be a training agency nor an equipment sales business. We will however provide ample opportunity for divers to dive. Divers will still need to get their equipment from local business and we will aim to ensure we get the best deal we can.

As a consumer group, I would say that business exists to serve our needs and not the other way around. It is the whole basis of the free market and we would like to see it work for us. :D
Paul

Return to North Island