Taupo, motutere bay

The Poor Knights, BOI, Hauraki Gulf, East Coast & Wellington

Re: Taupo, motutere bay

Postby seynz » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:26 pm

Andy wrote:
seynz wrote:Been to Taupo this WE, weather was crappy but at least I did a dive in Motutere...

We must have just missed you.... we dived at Motutere on Saturday morning, and the west side of the lake on Sunday.

Some shots from the weekend in our photo gallery:

http://www.techdivenz.com/gallery.html

I was at Taumarunui for a wedding on Sat, and end up on the evening at Motutere Bay for a night dive, but the cold, the lake conditions and the drive was too much for me to go underwater....

Where have you been diving on the west side of the lake ?
seynz

Postby Phantom Menace » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:56 pm

seynz wrote:I think it s not a bad idea to dive with a floating flag on the first dive site specially in summer.

I wouldn't dive there full stop - floating flag or not. High speed access lanes are reserved for just that - high speed access. It is an offence to be doing most anything else in the lane (no anchoring, no beaching boats, no swimming - nothing that impedes high speed access).

Theoretically the water skiers are supposed to observe the "5 knot within 200m of shore (or a dive flag)" rule for the rest of the lake - but don't have to observe it in the access lanes.
Phantom Menace

Postby Andy » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:25 am

seynz wrote:Where have you been diving on the west side of the lake ?

We've been doing a bit of a systematic exploration of sites other than Motutere - no one ever seemed to be able to explain why people only dive there, we wanted to find out whether it was because someone had explored and they were the only two good sites, or whether someone had lucked out first try and never looked further afield.

I'm starting to get the impression that it's the former! Nearly all of the other sites we've dived either have a huge surface swim, or are sand that slopes down to depth with not much topography. It's a shame, there are a few sites (on the map) where the 50m contour on the marine charts is right up close to shore, underneath cliffs on the shore.... but there's no access, other than boat.

We've got maybe two or three more sites to explore before we give up completely!
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby justsimon » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:39 am

Have you checked out by the playground at 4 mile bay (I think) - Wharewaka point. I've gone in there a couple of times and there's a bit of a cliff to the left. It's not huphuphup depth, I think I got to around 15m but it's only 20m swim to the start of the first dropoff.
justsimon
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Andy » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:08 am

justsimon wrote:Have you checked out by the playground at 4 mile bay (I think) - Wharewaka point. I've gone in there a couple of times and there's a bit of a cliff to the left. It's not huphuphup depth, I think I got to around 15m but it's only 20m swim to the start of the first dropoff.

Not yet! That's on my list of places to look at.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby justsimon » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:48 am

justsimon wrote:
Have you checked out by the playground at 4 mile bay (I think) - Wharewaka point. I've gone in there a couple of times and there's a bit of a cliff to the left. It's not huphuphup depth, I think I got to around 15m but it's only 20m swim to the start of the first dropoff.

justsimon wrote:Have you checked out by the playground at 4 mile bay (I think) - Wharewaka point. I've gone in there a couple of times and there's a bit of a cliff to the left. It's not huphuphup depth, I think I got to around 15m but it's only 20m swim to the start of the first dropoff.

When you do, bring something to put fishing lures in. Every tree branch down to 10m is covered with them. I used to snorkel for them when I was at varsity. :D Actually the same goes for the opposite side of the lake - Rainbow point?
justsimon
U/W Photographic genius

Previous

Return to North Island