Nautilus Bay, Leigh

The Poor Knights, BOI, Hauraki Gulf, East Coast & Wellington

Nautilus Bay, Leigh

Postby GoatFish » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:05 pm

Has anyone dived Nautilus Bay up in Leigh? It is accessed by a track at the end of the road just before you head down to the Leigh wharf... I normally shore dive Matheson but am looking to try this spot...

Any experience would be greatly appreciated..... :D
You have been touched by the Goat....
GoatFish

Re: Nautilus Bay, Leigh

Postby ChuckyBob » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:39 pm

Cant see a Nautilus bay on my chart. Is it to the north or south of the Outpost?

EDIT, I guess from your description its to the south.

Have dived there a few times in the past. Its different to the Outpost some what. Not alot of depth and quite kelpy. The odd cray here and there.

Never accessed it by shore though, only by boat.
ChuckyBob

Postby GoatFish » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:43 am

Thanks for that CB... you're right it is south of the outpost and I couldn't find anything called "Nautilus Bay" either but it's called that on the Dive Planet website that Paul Morris runs. A friend of mine has checked out the track leading down to it and reckons we'd have to take our gear down in two trips - I suppose if we're desperate enough we'll do it!
GoatFish

Postby nickcoendoz » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:50 am

Hi Guys,

A friend and I dived Nautilus Bay a few weeks ago. I wasn't aware that was it's name at the time, but it's the little cove down the end
of the path next to the cemetary, right?.

Was actually quite a lot of fun. We went in around the top of the tide as the bay is fairly shallow, which meant huuuuge surge. Just have to time
your entry as the sets come in. Surface swimming out takes you into around 10m which drops to 18m if you follow the rocks around the South, out
of the mouth of the bay. Definitely a learning experience for a first cold-ish water dive!.

Did you end up trying it yet?.
nickcoendoz

Postby GoatFish » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:08 pm

nickcoendoz wrote:Hi Guys,

A friend and I dived Nautilus Bay a few weeks ago. I wasn't aware that was it's name at the time, but it's the little cove down the end
of the path next to the cemetary, right?.

Was actually quite a lot of fun. We went in around the top of the tide as the bay is fairly shallow, which meant huuuuge surge. Just have to time
your entry as the sets come in. Surface swimming out takes you into around 10m which drops to 18m if you follow the rocks around the South, out
of the mouth of the bay. Definitely a learning experience for a first cold-ish water dive!.

Did you end up trying it yet?.

Yeah I did. Myself and a couple of mates did it last weekend and had a blast. We had about 6-8m viz and essentially surface swam out to the rocks, dropped down, and then basically continued eastish to a bunch of kelpy rock..

There was plenty of fish life, though nothing big enough to spear for all those spearos out there. We did come across a smallish nest of baby crays so had a good hunt around but couldn't find mum and dad...

We didn't get too battered by the swell as the weather was pretty good that day, but I imagine you wouldn't want to dive on strong easterly/southerly swells as you would end up bashed around..

We're definately heading back there, maybe Tuesday next week if the weather improves... the hike back up the hill was a mission, but worth it I reckon :D
GoatFish

Postby nickcoendoz » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:13 am

Nice. You definitely did better than us then. Deep, Easterly swell and vis of about 3 meters!. Rocking back and forth even at 18m was fun!. ha. Nice rays downt here on the day though. Got worse at Matheson that day ; .5m vis and insane wave action. I think it's time to hit up Goat Island Dive and head out into the Bay for this lazy tropical diver!.
nickcoendoz

Return to North Island