Shakedown dive goat island

The Poor Knights, BOI, Hauraki Gulf, East Coast & Wellington

Shakedown dive goat island

Postby Frosty » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:37 pm

My buddy and I are wanting to do a 45 minute shakedown splash.Given we don't have a boat we thought a safe bet was goat island.
Not deep but enough to remember skills and test gear. Good plan or do you think maybee theres a closer place for a splash.? no not lake poo
Frosty

Re: Shakedown dive goat island

Postby MikeS » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:39 pm

Goat Island is a great idea. Its a fantastic place. The Sea Friends daily update of weather conditions is pretty good and worth checking before going up there.
http://www.seafriends.org.nz/fcl/sea.htm
MikeS

Postby Andy » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:03 pm

Goat Island is a good option - I was up there the other week and easily got 10m even though we were there at mid-tide.

You can also think about Jones Bay, it's an easier entry with less (no!) big rocks just submerged under the surface.

I also don't think that you can beat Pupuke, it's reputation is undeserved. It's a great spot for a quick splash and whilst it is a tad murky at this time of year, it's warm as! Try going over to the Sylvan Park side - there's some great topography over that side and the vis is generally better, though watch out for the windsurfers.

I could easily be tempted by a dive in the lake! :D
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby ChuckyBob » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:30 am

I have to agree with Andy, Pupuke has quite an undeserved reputation.

I quite like diving there especially if its a shake down dive after changing a piece of kit.

Its quite central and easy to get to ( unless you live at Maraetai), good parking, good area to kit up and easy to get in and out of the water if you need to adjust/change anything.
You can easily get to any depth you need and as long as you keep an open mind there is some interesting stuff to search for. Fhresh water jellyfish, eels, trout, carp and even golf balls.
ChuckyBob

Postby GoatFish » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:44 pm

Jones Bay is good. But don't exclude Matheson Bay in Leigh as well. Very easy entry as it's just down the steps and into the water. The topography is interesting with all the boulders, deep cracks and odd swim through (around the back of the island). Or, when it's low tide walk over the rock/reef to the left and jump straight into around 2-3m and work your way back.

The best viz I've had there was around 10m (helped by the shallowness and sun that was out), and the worst being 0m lol.

Quite a bit of fish life - friendly too.
You have been touched by the Goat....
GoatFish

Postby Frosty » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:22 am

well looks like goat island aint much good for awhile. --Big slip is dumping heaps of clay/mud into the water so vis aint much good,
Frosty

Postby justsimon » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:25 pm

well looks like goat island aint much good for awhile. --Big slip is dumping heaps of clay/mud into the water so vis aint much good,

It changes by the day. We had 5-6m at Goat on Sunday but today was only about 2m. Mathesons was 50cm on Sunday, I would imagine it will take at least a couple of weeks to come right. The wharf at Ti Point looks icky but I haven't seen Jones in a while. Anybody know how it's looking?
justsimon
U/W Photographic genius

Postby aquakiwi » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:37 pm

Yeah was crap on Thursday (when pics were taken). Friday was back to 6-8m.

aquakiwi
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Frosty » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:45 pm

Andy --we are gonna have a splash late tomorrow arvo-5.30ish see if we can empty our tanks
Frosty

Postby Andy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:52 pm

Frosty wrote:Andy --we are gonna have a splash late tomorrow arvo-5.30ish see if we can empty our tanks

At the lake?

I could be on for that.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Frosty » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:55 pm

yep thats the plan. I'm gonna try out this newfangled wing thingee. probably get there about 5.30-6 -we were thinking of just wading in where the windsurfers usually are
Frosty

Postby Andy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:04 pm

Frosty wrote:yep thats the plan. I'm gonna try out this newfangled wing thingee. probably get there about 5.30-6 -we were thinking of just wading in where the windsurfers usually are

Sylvan Park? Yeah, that's a good option. I think they close the gates at 8pm though. I'll PM you my mobile number - will let you know tonight whether I can make it.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Frosty » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:51 am

Sounds great Andy.
Frosty

Postby Frosty » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:12 am

Hey thanks andy--it was good to meetya. We enjoyed that dive. good for a laugh whilst sussing out what works and what doesn't. My new sunglasses work a treat.
Frosty

Postby Frosty » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:24 pm

wooohoo--Ive got friday morning off--so we are off to goat island
Frosty

Next

Return to North Island