Whangaparaoa Peninsula

The Poor Knights, BOI, Hauraki Gulf, East Coast & Wellington

Whangaparaoa Peninsula

Postby somethin fishy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:22 am

Has anybody any experience shore diving on the Whanagaproa Peninsula?

The spot x dive book lists a couple of spots there that look accessible. Army Bay and a spot on the Auckland side of the Peninsula which supposedly has some wrecks?

Planning on doing some recky dives around Auckland East coast to see if we can find any diveable spots closer than Goat Island.

If anybody has any other ideas would love to here them!

Cheers..
Andy Stewart
somethin fishy

Re: Whangaparaoa Peninsula

Postby Phantom Menace » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:43 pm

Yeah - do the swim out from Army bay to Wellington Reef / rock - blokes do it free-diving but might be a little far lugging a tank
Phantom Menace

Postby somethin fishy » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:11 am

Thanks for that will see how we get on...
Andy Stewart
somethin fishy

Postby Phantom Menace » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:16 am

Careful though, it might be a bit of a long swim with tanks - easier with a small boat launched at Army Bay.
Phantom Menace

Postby somethin fishy » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:18 am

Is there usually much current there?
Andy Stewart
somethin fishy

Postby Ali Perkins » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:50 pm

I've dived Army Bay. Really enjoyed it. I didn't go as far as Wellington Reef. I just went a little ways offshore, quite shallow and silty. Fabulous nudibranchs - big! Good triplefins. Lots of seastars. Careful the boats coming and going from the boat ramp.
To view the underwater photography of Alison Perkins from InspiredToDive.com - visit http://www.inspiredtodive.com
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby somethin fishy » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:56 pm

Plan was to dive Long Bay while the tide was still highish and then have a look at "the wrecks" between Okoromai Bay and Te Haruhi Bay...

By the time we got in the water at Long Bay I think the tide was just about half out... Viz was 1 - 3 meters which made coming face to face with a small eagle ray intresting, and there were a few other crtitters about.. I was pretty suprised by the amount of rubbish in there, bottles, plastic bags and big steel things... So would I dive there again? Yep probably, but I wouldnt rush back.. I think it would probably be a better night dive dead on high tide after no rain and wind...

Next we headed to Whanagparoa and Okoromai Bay, man it was foggy! Couldnt see the end of the bay at Okoromai Bay and decided that was to fair to go. From the map there once Shakespeare Park opens up again in December there is a more acessable spot to get there which might be worth a crack.. So Army Bay was the next choice for a dive. Unfortunately I realised the plastic bag I put my camera in was full of water which had got into my camera. So dive was aborted to pull camera apart.. Its now in my hot water cuboard with front and back off, in a sealed plastic bag with rice in it covered with a towel.. Fingers crossed..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy Stewart
somethin fishy

Postby binklebonk » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:10 pm

Excellent love the shoe!
binklebonk

Postby Crayfish » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:37 pm

Fishermans cove looks good, I have seen some divers go off there before but have not gone out yet myself, Its only a short swim out to a shallow reef and sand could be intresting.

Fishermans cove is just before Army bay and has a short but steep boat ramp.
It is better to have dived! Than not at all!
Crayfish

Postby heroeslegend » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:16 pm

I would suspect that if you went right along the coastline from fishermans cove to see some cool action. Its a good spot for fishermen as the rocks at low tide expose a shelf which you can cast from, and is about 10-20m deep. I'd expect to find something down there
heroeslegend

Return to North Island