Lake Pupuke

The Poor Knights, BOI, Hauraki Gulf, East Coast & Wellington

Lake Pupuke

Postby AndrewRawlingson » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:04 pm

I was in north Auckland today, so thought I'd take a look at the mythical Lake Pupuke. I came, I saw, had a cup of tea in the cafe and left again. I may go back for a dive soon as I now own a cylinder and lead :)

Any hints for diving the lake or directions to underwater attractions (are there any)?
AndrewRawlingson

Re: Lake Pupuke

Postby MikeB » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:53 pm

From the pupmhouse side, most people drop down at the closest buoy (roughly N from the end of the wharf), if you follow the 12m contour line in a northerly direction from buoy there are a few overhangs. Certainly not a stunning dive site - but great for training. There is a bit more to see if you go in from the Sylvan park side...

A few of us will be there on Saturday afternoon doing some GUE style training if you want to tag along.
MikeB

Postby AndrewRawlingson » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:32 pm

thanks mike.
AndrewRawlingson

Postby divepirate » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:49 pm

On the Western side of Pupuke there is a cold dark hole known as the 'Pupuke Quarry'
it is accessible from the same road that the hospital is on.

There are few times that the quarry can be dived due to runoff from the surrounding area creating a 'clay like' colour of the water.

That being said, if your interest is in wrecks and the assorted plethora of heavy metal, that finds its way below the waters, this is a rather interesting dive.
It was some time ago when i dived it last but there were everything from cars, to motorbikes, to junk i couldn't even describe.

image attached
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt.
Forum Administrator.

I cant think of anything more relaxing, than being in the downunder, breathing some nice clean fresh filtered 21% nitrox.
divepirate
Forum Administrator

Postby AndrewRawlingson » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:24 pm

divepirate wrote:... there is a cold dark... hole

sounds great :D
AndrewRawlingson

Return to North Island