Insurance Options

A discussion on what lies deeper than 40 metres; technical diver training, experiences and recommendations.

Insurance Options

Postby dirchas » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:41 am

Hi All,

Would be keen to hear your thoughts on what type of insurance if any your carrying i.e. what level of coverage.

I'm considering taking DAN Preferred plus but at AUD $170 per year plus AUD$70 per year (NZD$315 Total) it's a hefty amount. However my life insurers rolled round on the floor laughing as soon as you mention passing 50mtrs so there be no payout what so ever if I kicked the bucket at that depth or deaper.

DAN PP pays out a measly $15k USD (about $27k NZD) having said that at least it would cover (just) the cost of a plywood box and a toasty oven ride.

Has anyone found a better option?

Cheers
Chas

FWIW I have a new baby daughter hence penning e-mails at this time of night on a Monday while trying to get her back to sleep ! :wink:
If only life were as simple on the surface.....
dirchas

Re: Insurance Options

Postby ChuckyBob » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:45 am

DAN PP pays out a measly $15k USD (about $27k NZD) having said that at least it would cover (just) the cost of a plywood box and a toasty oven ride.

A card board box, 10 litres of petrol and a bonfire out the back yard?
ChuckyBob

Postby Andy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:12 am

Congratulations on the new arrival, Chas!

It might be worth looking at the companies that provide professional diving insurance - so I get my professional liability insurance from Willis in Australia, they add-ons to the basic liability cover such as income protection (can't work as a result of a diving accident) and life cover. The rates are pretty good for professional cover, and I'm insured for whatever activities I am qualified to teach (45m, deco, extended wreck penetration etc).

I'm not sure if they offer individual insurance, but they are at least understanding of the issues so could be worth a look?
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby dirchas » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:24 am

ChuckyBob wrote:

A card board box, 10 litres of petrol and a bonfire out the back yard?

Maybe an old sheet some weights and a oneway trip to Davy Jones Locker :-)
dirchas

Postby dirchas » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:26 am

Andy wrote:Congratulations on the new arrival, Chas!

It might be worth looking at the companies that provide professional diving insurance - so I get my professional liability insurance from Willis in Australia, they add-ons to the basic liability cover such as income protection (can't work as a result of a diving accident) and life cover. The rates are pretty good for professional cover, and I'm insured for whatever activities I am qualified to teach (45m, deco, extended wreck penetration etc).

I'm not sure if they offer individual insurance, but they are at least understanding of the issues so could be worth a look?

Thanks Andy thats a good lead - I'll give them a call today and see what gives re individual insurance and post what I find out.
dirchas

Postby guru » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:44 am

I'm pretty sure the life insurance my partner got with Southern Cross covered diving, as long as she was trained for what she was doing, or something along those lines. Will try and get some more information.
Self confessed IT hack and genuine nutjob.
Wise words of Mr Miyagi: "Don't forget breathe..very important!"
guru

Postby dirchas » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:17 pm

Southern cross (and most insurers for that matter) are ok while so stay above 35mtrs, it's when you go below that it gets interesting :(
dirchas

Postby guru » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:53 pm

Maybe speak to Axa? Looks like their dive travel insurance covers up to 50m..

http://insurance.essentialtravel.co.uk/ ... urance.asp

Granted it's not a NZ company, but Axa is worldwide..
Self confessed IT hack and genuine nutjob.
Wise words of Mr Miyagi: "Don't forget breathe..very important!"
guru

Postby ChuckyBob » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:48 pm

So what happens if you plan and execute a dive to 30 m and black out/ get caught in a down current and die at 60 meters?
will they pay out?
ChuckyBob

Postby dirchas » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:40 pm

ChuckyBob wrote:So what happens if you plan and execute a dive to 30 m and black out/ get caught in a down current and die at 60 meters?
will they pay out?

I Guess it would depend on whether your insurance company had enough nouse to inquire as to why you had enough tanks strapped to you to start a small dive shop :P

How do you get on with the rebreather? are there any restrictions on insurance for that even at rec depths?

Cheers

Chas
dirchas

Postby Dorcy09 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:43 pm

Great discussion. I am looking for direct travel insurance in Australia. I want my insurance to include all medical, damage/loss and other necessary issues. Any suggestion?
Dorcy09

Return to Technical Diving