Tank testing charges

What do you use? Got a question about buying and maintaining your tank /valve? Then post in here.

Tank testing charges

Postby aengusj » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:24 pm

Just got my ali tank hydro tested in Mana's NZ Sea Adventures and was surprised to be charged for the fill on top of the tank testing fee. This is the first time it's happened in the last couple of years - the fill was previously always included in the testing fee which makes sense as my understanding is that the fill is part of the test anyway. I wouldn't have minded so much if they'd actually said it up front, but it seems a bit dodgy to tell a customer that the tank testing costs $45 only to then tell them they have to pay an extra $8 for the fill when they come to pick it up. Either include the fill price in the tank testing price or return the tank empty. This way just feels like a rip off...
What do you guys think?
aengusj

Re: Tank testing charges

Postby NEMES1S » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:27 pm

Hmmm....I recently had two tanks tested at a different location and they definitely didn't charge me for the fill...
So yeah not sure on charging for the fill on that one...

Mind you me and Bink' went along to a harbor clean up day out those ways and they were charging for the air fills... :?
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Postby binklebonk » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:29 pm

Yeah I agree that full disclosure of price up front is best. But this is common right across the spectrum of shops so it's always best to just assume that there will be hidden extra costs and make a point of asking at the time you hand anything over.
binklebonk

Postby ChuckyBob » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:03 pm

Should have said you were not quoted for that and that if that was the case you dont want the fill and then ask them to empty it.
ChuckyBob

Postby Jason » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:42 pm

ChuckyBob wrote:Should have said you were not quoted for that and that if that was the case you dont want the fill and then ask them to empty it.

:lol:

Sometimes my Buddy is nudged for his 18L that it will cost more than usual for a fill. He just growls that nobody else charges him double so why should they? They just fill for normal price but hide behind the fact that they 'tried' to con him.
Just drifting along with whatever is current.
Currently I'm reading : The Art of Innovation by Tom Kelley.
Jason

Postby ChuckyBob » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:57 pm

When I used to be a slave to the man and had to take my doubles into a shop to be filled they always charged me double.
I argued that they only ever connected up one fill whip but some how they didnt see my point. :lol:
ChuckyBob

Postby aengusj » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:48 pm

haha - yeah, in retrospect I should have asked for the tank to be emptied. Anyway, I just thought it would be interesting to see what other people think, and also to give a heads up for anyone thinking of getting their tank tested.
aengusj

Postby dirchas » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:56 pm

aengusj wrote:haha - yeah, in retrospect I should have asked for the tank to be emptied. Anyway, I just thought it would be interesting to see what other people think, and also to give a heads up for anyone thinking of getting their tank tested.

Thanks for starting this thread - after being out of the industry for a few years it's good to know whats being charged for services. I recently had my twin's visualed at Dive Centre and was charged $45 each plus $8 each for air fills which I thought was ok - how does this compare to other shops in the Auckland region ? Not that I would nessesarily move as the service at DC is great i'm just curious is all. I also have three tanks due for hydro so would be keen to here what is charged for that as well,

Cheers

Chas
If only life were as simple on the surface.....
dirchas

Postby DiveDR » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:12 pm

dirchas wrote:
aengusj wrote:haha - yeah, in retrospect I should have asked for the tank to be emptied. Anyway, I just thought it would be interesting to see what other people think, and also to give a heads up for anyone thinking of getting their tank tested.

Thanks for starting this thread - after being out of the industry for a few years it's good to know whats being charged for services. I recently had my twin's visualed at Dive Centre and was charged $45 each plus $8 each for air fills which I thought was ok - how does this compare to other shops in the Auckland region ? Not that I would nessesarily move as the service at DC is great i'm just curious is all. I also have three tanks due for hydro so would be keen to here what is charged for that as well,

Cheers

Chas

Testing twins is a bit of a tricky one as it takes a bit of time to pull them apart (carefully) and then put them back together getting the band height correct and the bolt lengths right, I imagine some testing stations add a bit on to recoup the extra time involved, personally my view is that divers that are prepared to invest in a set of twins are the sort of divers that you would want to support as they more often than not support you.

Is $45 DC's normal visual price?

Sometimes my Buddy is nudged for his 18L that it will cost more than usual for a fill. He just growls that nobody else charges him double so why should they? They just fill for normal price but hide behind the fact that they 'tried' to con him.[/quote]

What do you reckon about changing for air on a per liter basis like O2 or petrol?
www.divedoctor.co.nz - everything diving
DiveDR

Postby ChuckyBob » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:36 pm

By the same token dont you find those that dive twins prefer to pull them apart and set them up again them selves?

I get the impression that some dive shops have never even set up a set of twins before.
ChuckyBob

Postby dirchas » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:11 pm

ChuckyBob wrote:By the same token dont you find those that dive twins prefer to pull them apart and set them up again them selves?

I get the impression that some dive shops have never even set up a set of twins before.

Yep I always dis-assemble them myself so all the shop does is just the visual. AFAIN $45 is DC's standard visual rate
dirchas

Postby Andy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:41 pm

Prices on both visuals and hydros have recently gone up across the board, I understand that NZUA have put up the cost of accreditation and/or supplying RoCs etc. Though I must admit $45 seems more in line with the cost of a hydro to me.

Some places charge for fills on top, others don't. For example, Pro Cylinder Testing in Greenlane don't include the fill..... and the tank comes back to you empty, DiveHQ Greenlane (in the good old days when it was open) right next door to PCT used to include the fill, but the test was a few bucks more expensive.... less than a fill, though.

If the service is good, Chas.... that's the main thing! It's only once a year, if you think of the number of dives you get out of that it's not much per dive.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby dirchas » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:28 pm

Andy wrote:
If the service is good, Chas.... that's the main thing! It's only once a year, if you think of the number of dives you get out of that it's not much per dive.

Completely agree re service which is why I use DC exclusively but.... even though its once a year by the time you do 7 tanks thats a fairly large investment!
dirchas

Postby Andy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:39 pm

dirchas wrote:
Andy wrote:

Completely agree re service which is why I use DC exclusively but.... even though its once a year by the time you do 7 tanks thats a fairly large investment!

Tell me about.... I've had to cut back my collection of tanks, now down to 11. It sucks when you have to have two of everything. :shock:
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby DiveDR » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:15 pm

dirchas wrote:
Andy wrote:

Yes service is the key, although if you are doing a seven at once you should at least ask about a bit of a deal, maybe free air fills?

ChuckyBob wrote:By the same token dont you find those that dive twins prefer to pull them apart and set them up again them selves?

I was going to say that I prefer to have the twins delivered to me as two singles but thought that I would just get flamed.... :P You do need to be careful with the threads and all the left and right hand stuff can do your head in on a friday afternoon !!
www.divedoctor.co.nz - everything diving
DiveDR

Next

Return to Tanks