Cell checker

A Place for Discussions On All The Various mCCRs, eCCRs, SCRs & Diving Profiles.

Cell checker

Postby ChuckyBob » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:08 pm

Just interested in who uses a cell checker and what type.
What pressure do you pump it up too?
What do you like about it and how could it be improved?

FYI I am building one.
ChuckyBob

Re: Cell checker

Postby ChuckyBob » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:35 pm

All done.
Made it out of some schedule 80 PVC with end caps machined and glued in ( same as my light cannisters).
A thread was cut for a P port in one end ( I use P Port cell holders in my IDA-71) and a 100KPA gauge in the other end.
A simple BC quick disconnect fitting allows for O2 input and a OPV valve stops excessive pressure build up.

The whole system allows me to plug O2 monitoring direct from my rebreather so either rEvo Dream with 2 cells or VR3 with a single cell. O2 supply also comes from rebreather system.
All in all it cost me $50+- in parts and several hours on the lathe/mill
Making a similar system that does away with the P Ports and allows for lose cells inside that could then be read of a Shearwater or VR3 would be simple enough to do as well. It would just require a threaded or latched lid and a Fischer cable.
ChuckyBob

Postby Paul » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:25 pm

Very Cool!

Will the next one take three molex R22ds at the same time? It would be really good to calibrate in Pure O2 too.
Who needs a hobby when you have an obsession?
Paul

Postby ChuckyBob » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:40 pm

This one will take 2 R22's in a P Port cell holder.

But there is no reason why it wouldnt take 3 bare cells with a cable passing through a male P Port with 3 male and 3 female molex connectors on the ends.
ChuckyBob

Postby Paul » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:56 pm

Yea I'm thinking it would be nice to be able to plug three cells into it using a fisher cable. Could then calibrate the shearwater using 100% O2. You'd need to be able to ensure it was just ambient pressure for that... easy enough I'd say.

What pressure does the OPV blow off at?
Who needs a hobby when you have an obsession?
Paul

Postby ChuckyBob » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:52 pm

Yeah, ambient is easy enough, just dont do the lid up tight or leave the bleed open.
Of course fitting a fischer plug will not be cheap. But I dont think its needed. Simply have a loom that plugs into your existing O2 sensors plugs on your KISS.

Not sure of the OPV. Its a spare one off my IDA. its adjustable but Im unsure of how low I can set it and have be reliable. I only intend to pressurise the pot to 1 bar above ambient so if it opened at just over that it would be great.
ChuckyBob

Return to Rebreather Diving