Dive Computers - wrist vs gauges

Wrist, console...for recreational or technical diving. Questions and information.

Re: Dive Computers - wrist vs gauges

Postby DOWN-UNDER » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:12 am

Hamrob wrote:How practicle is a wrist mounted computer for someone who is going to be predominantly diving for crays and scallops? I like being able to easily look at my wrist as opposed reaching for my console but don't want to break my computer within the first few dives.

Thanks

All valid points from everyone for their diving types. But no one has mentioned the computer mask?
I have one and it is great. But don't look at NZ prices, we are getting ripped of down here.
If you buy from overseas you can save $1000.
DOWN-UNDER

Postby NEMES1S » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:03 pm

DOWN-UNDER wrote:
Hamrob wrote:How practicle is a wrist mounted computer for someone who is going to be predominantly diving for crays and scallops? I like being able to easily look at my wrist as opposed reaching for my console but don't want to break my computer within the first few dives.

Thanks

All valid points from everyone for their diving types. But no one has mentioned the computer mask?
I have one and it is great. But don't look at NZ prices, we are getting ripped of down here.
If you buy from overseas you can save $1000.

Diving in Welly where we regularly have rough entry and exit conditions I wouldn't want to lose and expensive mask in strong surge.
And teaching and DM'ing I couldn't tell you how many times I have had my mask kicked off my face,on goes the spare from the drysuit pocket but I still have my wrist mounted PC to know where I am at... :D
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Postby ChuckyBob » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:40 pm

I cant say I have ever had a mask knocked off by surge or buddy ( but I generally keep a spare in my pocket). But I am also a bit dubious of the "computer mask" even though I would probably use a back up computer in situations where I felt the need for one.

First of all I have gone through several masks finding a good fit ( blame it on my nose). Then there is the cost.

But...I am surprised there is no CCR computer mask that shows PPO as well as depth/time etc since so many rebreather divers already use Heads Up Displays. There is the Furyo system that has a HUD that clips onto your mask and mimics the full display of the wrist mount computer. ( does not offer any real redundancy).
Seems great at face value but quite an expensive system that seems to have very bad support from the manufacture.

http://narkedat90.com/shop/product/dsfy/
ChuckyBob

Postby DOWN-UNDER » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:13 pm

I have never lost a mask either.
If one is frequently getting kicked in the face you are obviously not paying attention or getting too close to newbies. You could have a lanyard attached to mask also?
The data mask does have nitrox and shows O2 build up, but am unsure what information you also require for a rebreather.
DOWN-UNDER

Postby NEMES1S » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:58 pm

DOWN-UNDER wrote:I have never lost a mask either.
If one is frequently getting kicked in the face you are obviously not paying attention or getting too close to newbies.

Obviously... :roll:
Very rude of you to insinuate I am not "Paying attention" especially considering you don't even know me or my DMing or instructional or even buddy skills,I hope this isn't the way you are going to converse with the other members of SDNZ as I can assure you your stay on here will be short.
And oddly enough being an Instructor or a DM requires you to get close to Newbies....
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Postby DOWN-UNDER » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:51 pm

NEMES1S wrote:
DOWN-UNDER wrote:I have never lost a mask either.
If one is frequently getting kicked in the face you are obviously not paying attention or getting too close to newbies.

Obviously... :roll:
Very rude of you to insinuate I am not "Paying attention" especially considering you don't even know me or my DMing or instructional or even buddy skills,I hope this isn't the way you are going to converse with the other members of SDNZ as I can assure you your stay on here will be short.
And oddly enough being an Instructor or a DM requires you to get close to Newbies....

No disrespect intended. :oops: If you are ever up BOI you can show me your buddy skills, I'll show you my beer fridge :wink:
DOWN-UNDER

Postby ChuckyBob » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:22 pm

DOWN-UNDER wrote: I'll show you my beer fridge :wink:

I was quite offended too! :wink:
ChuckyBob

Postby Grrrr54 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:09 pm

ChuckyBob wrote:
DOWN-UNDER wrote: I'll show you my beer fridge :wink:

I was quite offended too! :wink:

Yep, me too!!! Now where exactly is this beer fridge you speak of??? I'll be in the area next March and I already have a raging thirst.

GRRR

PS: Back on topic. I have only ever worn a wrist computer and see no reason to ever change,
Grrrr54

Previous

Return to Dive Computers